1.1

I follow Kate silently through the snow and up to her door. It was a fight to see who would drive, and in the end she just decided I would stay over with her and get my car in the morning. It was a plan Allison was less than pleased with, but she agreed none the less.

"Would you hurry up?" Kate complains, grabbing my arm and dragging me across her driveway.

Her house sprawls in front of us. It's easily the most beautiful house in all of Alaska, and her mother, Carmen outdoes herself in upkeep. I have never seen it look anything less than perfect; both inside and out.

"I'm coming, you don't need to make me a human ragdoll." I joke, trying to free myself from her grasp, but her grip is like iron and won't budge.

"You'll catch a cold out here." She complains, pulling me harder until I nearly fall into the grand entry of the house.

"Thanks." I mutter, rolling my eyes sarcastically at her.

She simply ignores me, and heads farther into the house, calling out to anyone home that she brought me with her. Carmen's voice carries out of the kitchen, calling a sweet hello. Tanya and Irina are nowhere to be seen, and I have a funny feeling Tanya is following Edward like a lost puppy.

"Where's Eleazar?" I ask after tossing my boots and furry coat into the closet.

"Oh, he and Doctor Cullen decided to hunt and fish before the storms got too bad. I think he believes we need another moose head after I threw away the last one." Carmen jokes walking out of the kitchen to give me a hug.

"Well, that sounds exciting."

The last time Eleazar brought home a moose head and hung it above the hearth, Carmen had it removed and gone within the hour. She was less than pleased with the dead animal staring at them all hours of the day.

"Kate dear, the Cullen's are coming over this evening, please try to look presentable." Carmen sighs, looking at her middle daughter with a frown.

"Lina, we're going upstairs." Kate growls, tugging me like a ragdoll, again, towards the stairs and into her room.

Like I expected, there are clothes draped everywhere with no rhyme or reason. The only thing that has room on it is her bed, so I sit on the edge, watching my friend with curiosity.

"I cannot stand him." She starts to pace, her hands flying everywhere like lightening.

"Who?" I ask dumbly, cocking my head at her in an attempt to look confused.

"Edward, he thinks he can just come back and toy with her again." She groans, looking at me expectantly.

"You're going to have to give me more than that."

"He came here, a few years ago, before you moved out here, and before you know, what happened. He and Tanya sort of hit it off, but they weren't meant to be. Fate did not want them together, and yet here he is, bored, and willing to play my sister to spite that fate." She growls, pacing faster than I ever thought she could.

Kate has always had this affinity for fate, and meeting her soulmate despite her incredibly tough exterior. It fascinates me, and drives me insane to no end. I'm not sure I share the same ideas as her, especially after Jared.

"Kate, you have to let Tanya make her own mistakes, if this fate you speak of is real, then someday she will realize it and everything will fall into place." I rest my hand on hers.

"God, you make everything sound so convincing." She rolls her eyes, plopping down on the bed next to me.

"Well, you are being a little irrational." I smirk, nudging her shoulder with my own.