Bucky Barnes

Brooklyn, New York -1942

Bucky Barnes knew exactly how the soulmate system worked

Bucky Barnes knew exactly how the soulmate system worked. It fascinated him to no end. He read everything he could get his hands on about it, talked to hundreds of professionals about. The way numbers appeared on peoples arms to count down to when soulmates met each other was amazing. Yet it was also the most disappointing and humiliating thing to have in his life.

Bucky could get any woman he wanted, he knew it, they new it, heck Steve commented on it everyday! Steve Rogers, his best friend and probably the smallest kid in Brooklyn who picked way to many fights that Bucky had finish, was the person he envied the most.

How could he not when Steve's timer was constantly ticking down and Bucky's arm never even ticked  seconds away. He tried to ignore it the best he could and in anyway possible. He went to bars with Steve, he flirted with any woman brave enough to approach him, yet nothing could stop the stupid letters from giving him a slap in the face every time he slipped up and looked down. 

Then the country went to war.

Steve wanted to enlist, to serve his country more than anything and not be 'useless'. Bucky wanted to enlist too. Serve the country, see some action, do the right thing, but deep down he knew it and so did Steve. The biggest distraction yet was when the mission orders came in and a gun was thrust into his arms. 

Getting thrust from camp to camp kept him distracted and being part of The Howling Commandos lifted his spirits for awhile, until they caught a glimpse of his arm

Getting thrust from camp to camp kept him distracted and being part of The Howling Commandos lifted his spirits for awhile, until they caught a glimpse of his arm. There where constant jokes, jokes that he laughed at when they said them but cried about them when alone.

He cursed everyone he could think of that would make him suffer like this. Then his troops got captured and he didn't think he would make it out alive. He prayed for forgiveness, to whoever could possibly give him a glimpse of his soulmate. 

The only response he got was being saved by Captain America, the worlds greatest hero. Little Stevie wasn't so little anymore. Not only did Steve now get all the girls but the troops fawned over him. And the greatest slap in the face was when Peggy Carter showed up and Steve's numbers stopped ticking.