Chapter 1: Issues with the Barkin Relationship

January 30
9:30 AM

Charlie growled as sunlight snaked its way through the windows. He rolled over trying to block the sunlight, but it was no use. The German shepherd was annoyed, but he got up from his sleeping place and yawned. He looked around the rusted and old car he had been sleeping in. He sighed as he got to his bearings and walked out into the abandoned junkyard. He hadn't gone home to David and Sasha that previous night, because he had gotten too drunk at the Fleabite bar. He rubbed his face with his paws, as he headed towards the entrance. "I guess I got to explain, my 'disappearance' to David and Sasha." He muttered as he turned going south along a sidewalk. San Francisco was covered in a thick white snow, very odd for California. He didn't mind however, as it meant less people out, and more open space for him. He turned down another street. 25th street. The street Charlie had made a home with David and Sasha. He approached the house, before he saw flash of red and he smashed face first into a snowdrift. "Sorry Charlie!" Was all David said as he grabbed the dog out of the drift. "David?! What are you doing? Aren't you supposed to be in school?!" Charlie said panicked and David shrugged. "No, not today. School's canceled. But I guess I can ask my own share of questions- where were you last night?" He asked suspiciously as Charlie grinned innocently. David smiled and sighed. "Well, you'll just have to explain it to your mate." He said as the two walked back to the house. "Was Sasha worried?" Charlie asked and David shook his head. "More angry than anything. You should have seen her. 'When I get my paws on him!'" He said mimicking Sasha and Charlie's ears flattened. "I didn't mean to." He said as they walked in the front door and Charlie shook out his fur. "I just stayed out a little, that's all." He said and a cough interrupted Charlie. He turned and saw his mate standing there. If it had been any colder, steam would have been coming off of her. "Sasha..." Charlie said faking a smile. "Charlie B Barkin! Where were you last night?" She asked angrily. "I was down at the bar. Having a bit of... something to drink." He said trying to defend himself. "Charlie! You know how dangerous it is for you to be out that late! Even though Carface and Red are gone, doesn't mean Belladona won't come for you still." She growled and Charlie flattened his ears. "I know, but I just needed some time out of the house." These words angered Sasha even more. "Time out of the house?! Charlie Barkin, you don't leave me for anything!!" She snapped and Charlie whined. "Hey, hey, Sasha, calm down. Everyone needs a break from life, every once in a while." David said and Sasha sighed calming herself down. "Look, Charlie, I just get worried when you are gone for long periods of time. I don't want another Red happening. I just don't." She said and Charlie nodded. "I'm sorry." He said and smiled. "But hey, you are the one who fell in love with me." He said and Sasha kicked him who made Charlie wince. "Yeah. I know." She said and licked his cheek.

---In Heaven---
Raff was watching the Barkins fight and he just chuckled. "What's so funny Raff?" Itchy asked. "Ah, it's just Charlie and Sasha, having another small fight. Honestly, I don't know how the two love each other, but sometimes that goes beyond heaven's explanation." He said and got up fluttering over to Itchy. "Any news from you?" He asked and Itchy sighed. "No, but I've seen some more things. Apparently some more snow is going to be hitting San Fran soon." He said and Raff shook his head. "Oddest weather I've seen in that region for years." He said and Itchy nodded. "Yeah, I just hope that they all stay safe. After all Belladona could be behind the bad weather to lure them out ya know? Could lure Charlie out and hold him captive in hell. But I doubt it. Belladona hates the cold, so I don't think she would try it." He said as the two walked through heaven. "You know Itch, you could have gotten a mate while you were still alive." He said and Itchy sighed. "Oh boy, bringing that back up again aren't we?" He said and Raff nodded. "You could have. There were plenty of dogs that I bet liked you." He said and Itchy snorted. "Yeah, like that would have happened. I'm a short dog Raff. I also ain't much of a hero, like Charlie. I don't think anyone would have cared for me." The dog said and Raff laughed. "No one cared for you?" He said laughing. "Did you not see the dogs that wanted to be with you?" He said and Itchy thought back through his memories. "I guess you're right. Damn! I had opportunities everywhere." He growled and Raff put a paw on his shoulder. "Don't worry at all Itch. You'll find someone." He said as the second in command floated away. "Even if that means another dog here in heaven."