Chapter 7 Consequences

"What did you do?" Rory asks accusingly, running up to meet us from the perimeter. I cough, wiping the blood that's on my face and letting him help me carry Anastasia, who is half passed out by now from exhaustion and shock. I almost didn't think we would make it back alive, but the two f us pull it through.

"I make sure no one will ever suffer the same way Arielle did," I say in between coughs. I can see Greg opening the gate from a distance with Jared and Howard running towards us. Rory sighs and the two of us carry Anastasia between us towards the base. Howard's face is a mask, but I can tell he isn't pleased about me running off and coming back cover in blood.

"You shouldn't have gone out by yourself," he lectures. I slump onto the ground as soon as we are in and Jared quickly slams the gate shut. "It isn't safe. Now tell us exactly what happened."

I sigh and roll sideway to take my bag off. I pull the notebook out and hand it over to Howard, who receive it with a raised eyebrow. "Read it," I tell him, still recovering from my exertion. "And can someone get Winnie so she can have a look at Anastasia?"

Howard flicks through the notebook while Rory hands me a bottle of water. My family is nowhere in sight, and I assume they are looking after Arielle. The courtyard is quiet; I am guessing the others have gone to bed. It's well past midnight after all.

Howard grimaces and closes the book, then shake his head at me. "I know you are mad about what happened with Arielle," he says, holding a hand up when I am about to protest that I am more than just mad. "But if all this is true, that they are the remnants of the government, then us crossing them means that we are getting in over our head."

"You don't have to worry about that; we destroyed their research and labs. Most of them are injured or dead; they will never recover enough to hurt anyone again." I tell him. We have fought our way out of the facility and stagger back under the cover of the night, and I am pretty sure none of them are functional enough to tail us. I would have gone and destroyed the entire building, but I don't think I am strong enough to do it. Not yet.

I know that I should feel disgusted with myself and remorse at what I did, and how some people have died tonight because of me. But every time this feeling surface, it's pushed down by the anger of what they have done. It's sickening to know that I have murder people, but I did it in self defense.

"Who needs my help?" Winnie rushes over and gasps when she sees Arielle. She quickly motions for Greg and Rory to go help her and they whisks Anastasia off. I watch them go, knowing that she is in capable hand. I look back to Howard; I want her to stay, but that decision isn't up to us.

"You are confined for the week," Howard announces. I wince; although I can't say I didn't see that one coming. I have disobeyed the rules that are set in place in this community and venture out on my own, staying out after dark and engaged in a fight. "I don't want you going anywhere and been seen by anyone until we have figure out the consequences of your action."

"What consequences?" I ask, taken aback by this turn. I have destroyed the evil base once and for all - making the people safe. What else is there?

"You can't honestly think that they only have one base," Jared shakes his head at me like I am still six years old. I freeze; I definitely haven't considered that. Suddenly, a wave of uncertainty and fear wash over me as I consider what my action can potentially cause.

What have I done?

I was taken to the designated medical quarters, in a separate room from Anastasia for the while. I quickly clean up before Winnie come and see me, wiping all the blood that's all me. I don't even know whose blood is it; Anastasia's? Mine? Or one of the guards'?