Chapter 19 Samsara

*Samsara (photo above) is the cycle of life and death in Hindu religion*

"Let me get this straight,"—I held my hands up—"you're saying that you used the Earth's energy to hold up the barrier that stopped the beasts from attacking. And you used some form of energy to do it but it's recharged here?"

"That is exactly right." Fleur nods encouragingly at me. I shake my head, not entirely sure if it makes sense to me or if I believe any of it.

"You talk like the Earth is alive," Maddie finally speaks. Fleur's smile stretches.

"Every living thing has a soul, their own energy," Fleur says and gesture around at all of us. "Why do you think the Earth is any different?"

"Are you seriously telling us that the Earth is alive?" Lionel asks incredulously. "If that's the case, why doesn't it act out? It's half destroyed."

"Have you ever seen a plant act in defense when someone harms it?" Fleur reasons. Lionel quieted down. "I think not. The Earth is similar. Even though it has some kind of consciousness, it cannot act or do anything. It doesn't even have much of a will."

"You've lost me" Cosette shakes her head. "We're talking about how you've protected us and how you are here. And you tell us that the Earth is alive."

"But it is the answer you are looking for." Fleur throws her hands up in agitation. She looks at us like we are the dumbest people she has ever met. "The Earth is the source of all mystic powers. It grants whoever looking to channel it the power they seek. But there are rules to using its power. The need to balance the world and maintain it — if the balance is disrupted, then there will be consequences."

I pick up the word mystic. It's not a frequently used vocabulary, but I know what it means. Sort of. Basically, this girl is a witch. But the way she's talking about witchcraft isn't what I've read in stories.

"What consequences?" I ask. I hate that word because it reminds me of the reason why I'm here, in Paris. Because I acted out and didn't think about the consequences.

"I don't know precisely," Fleur admits and Maddie stifles a snort. "All I know is that if the balance isn't kept, then the consciousness of the Earth will be in jeopardy. Without the consciousness, all the mystic forces will disappear."

"We have been surviving without making use of this mystic power,"—Lionel shrugs—"whether or not the consciousness still exists won't bother the majority of us."

Fleur smiles in a way that gives me the creeps. "Trust me," she says, donning on a mysterious smile. "Not noticing its existence and having it not be there at all are two entirely different things. Without Earth's will, the world would be a barren place."

"Where has this force been the entire time when the world is being ripped apart?" Cosette starts firing questions. She's combining her usual accusatory self with her curiosity. "If it's conscious, wouldn't it want to stop itself from being blown into bits?"

"The Earth cannot act," Fleur reiterates. "It can only favours people who have the power to turn the tides. And because of the importance of balance, we cannot act when technology rises. It is the power that can balance the world and the Earth's power will only counteract it."

"You totally lost me." I shake my head and throw my hands up. None of this makes any sense. The fact that magic somehow exists and Earth has a conscious. And yet we have powers that are a result of a technological disaster by a weapon that's created with our mind, something that's mystic free. Where's the balance in that?

"What about God. The being that supposedly gives the Apocalypse the idea to blow us all up for redemption?" Cosette isn't anywhere near done with her questions. She is now looking at Fleur with her nose like she just wins the entire world and not just a conversation.