Chapter 31 Not a walk in the park

Our journey before Budapest was like a dream compare to this.

I peek out from the car that I'm hiding behind before quickly scurrying back out of sight. These creatures are ridiculous. I have no idea what they are, I've never seen anything like them. They have stormed out of nowhere a few minutes ago and if it wasn't for Black Wing's warning, we would have gotten run over.

The closest thing I can describe them as are boars. But they have an abnormally large snout that makes their entire body seems disproportionate. There's two dozens of them in total, and from the way they're sniffing around, I'd say it's only a matter of time before they sniff us out. Literally.

"What now?" I mouth the words to Victoria, who has ran to the opposite car to hide. I point at my head but she shakes her head at me. She can't get inside their mind. Apparently it just doesn't work for some creatures.

Katerina is somewhere behind me and I have no way of communicating with her. I look up; Black Wing is nowhere to be seen either. He doesn't muddle much unless Victoria asks him to. And he doesn't like me period.

I honestly have no idea how we haven't run into any of the Betes when it's just Katerina and I. Surely even in a car, we'd run into some. But we've been taking the back roads, trekking through fields to avoid being seen. On the plus side, we avoided any survivors camp, on the down side, we keep running into Betes. Sometimes Victoria can negotiate passage for us, but other times, this happens.

I would normally suggest going around them, but I can't move to the otherside and neither can Victoria. We can't wait them out, either. They'll find us first. This leave one option: fighting them off.

Splitting up is an extremely tempting idea right now, but it'd be impossible to find each other again especially if one of us ends up in trouble. I run scenarios after scenarios in my head. Nothing looks good.

The other bad news is that they are currently in front of us, meaning that we would have to go past them to carry on. I sneak another peek and tear off a car door further down. A few turn towards that side, but most of them are still sniffing. Great.

Victoria gives me a furious look and I give her a hard look back. I can move things, not magically get these creatures off our trails. Sometimes I miss the days when it's just me and Katerina. At least she doesn't have a princess syndrome.

I watch carefully as one of the Betes moves forward. They do have extremely short legs. Counting the number of cars around, a plan starts to form in my head and I gesture for Victoria to run over to me at my signal. She frowns at me but nods. Good.

Extending my mind out, I make sure that the space is enough before pushing and pulling all the cars around into a tight circle around these big-nose-boars. They squeal and attempt to run, but I am using enough force to knock them back off, for now. This clear up the right section of the road and I can see Victoria and Katerina running towards me in my peripheral vision. I give the cars one final shove before running myself.

A side glance prove to me that they can't jump over the cars, which is their first instincts after failing to head butt their way out just moments before. They aren't smart enough to understand that that force isn't there anymore just yet. But they'll revert back to it soon. I pump my legs to go faster as Victoria and Katerina catch up. There's no way these two can run faster than me.

"That is some quick thinking, de Silver," Victoria compliments me when we finally come to a stop. All of us are panting and she doubles over with her hands on her knees, trying to catch her breath back. I give her a wink.

"Someone has got to be the brains around here," I retort. Katerina coughs behind me and Victoria shakes her head. I look back; we're far enough now that we can't see them anymore. But we should keep moving before they decide to catch up. I can't control our scent.