One Day

RATED PG-13

Here is another one of RaeKitano’s writer’s challenges. This time being one about leap year. Hope you like it and don’t forget to leave me a comment to let me know what you really thought of it!! Thanks! <3

Prompts:

February 29th

A Mirror

The line, “I am going to get you for this.”

Someone dancing

A surprise of some sort.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. Who was this guy starring back at me? This guy with the blood shot eyes, the knotted up hair and the week’s worth of hair growth on his face. Who was he? He resembled someone I used to know, someone who used to be happy. A guy that would smile and laugh. When was the last time I smiled? I couldn’t remember.

I reached up and touched the reflection of a boy who looked as if he should have died all those months ago. “It should have been you.” My reflection whispered to me. He’s right. It should have been me.

A pounding on the door had me cutting my eyes to the side and letting out a small grunt of annoyance at the voice that I heard. “Aidan!”

My brother slammed his hand on the door once again, causing it to shake from the force. “Get out, Aidan!” He screamed, almost desperately.

He probably thought I was in here cutting myself or downing a bottle of pills. I should. All it would take to end this pain would be a sharp razor or to open my mother’s bottle of sleeping pills in the cabinet. It wouldn’t be hard at all. I should do it now before my parents get up.

“Aidan! Please!” His voice shook on the verge of tears and I sighed, lowering my head. I can’t do it. Not to my brother or my parents and especially not to Devon. He wouldn’t have wanted that. Hell, he’s probably watching me right now, shaking his head and yelling at me to get over him already. But how do I get over the love of my life?

“How do I do that, Devon?” I yelled out, hoping to get a response. God, I’m going crazy, waiting for a response from a dead guy.

“I’m getting mom and dad!”

I threw open the door as soon as he finished his sentence. “Don’t. I’m fine.” I mumbled walking past him.

“You’re not fine Aidan.” He yelled behind me as I walked into my room and closed the door.  I shook my head and lay down on my bed, repeating his words over and over in my head. You’re not fine…you’re not fine…

I looked up as my door swung open and my mother poked her head in with a smile. “Aiden.” I didn’t say anything as she walked over to my bed and sat down on the edge. Her hands felt cold on my forehead when she pushed the hair out of my eyes. “Are you going to get up today?” She asked, the concern clearly shown in her eyes.

I closed mine and shook my head. Why should I get up? I have nothing to get up for anymore.

“Don’t you think Devon would have wanted you to be happy?” She asked in a quiet tone. I felt the tingle come to my eyes, just as I did every time I heard someone mention his name. “Do you think he would have wanted you to stay in this room for months?” She bit her lip and eyed me warily. I don’t blame her for being scared to talk to me, not after last time. My room still had the proof of my breakdown, the once nice dresser now lying on its side, my stereo in pieces beside the bed.