Did You Even Notice Me?

This is a one shot challenge issued by RaeKitano...

The requirements were to do a oneshot using 'NO DIALOG!' hehe...It was hard, cause I love dialog...but I think I did pretty good. It's not very long but you should really read it and let me know what you think!! <3 (Psst...you'd do it if you love me, you know :P)

I walked into the kitchen in search of breakfast before school. My parents sat at the table, drinking coffee and reading the paper. I didn’t even get a simple glance or smile as I walked past them to the fridge. Do they even remember that they have a son?

I stood behind them, waiting for at least one of them to acknowledge me. After a full three minutes and a shake of my head, I ignored my book bag that was sitting next to the door and walked out, heading for a school where I’m sure to get the same treatment as I do at home.

I think my parents hate me now since I told them I was gay. They always told me they would love me no matter what but I guess they lied.

When my school came into view, I mentally sighed again, another day where I would sit alone and stare out of a window. Another day where I would eat at an empty table as I watched everyone else smiling and laughing. Just another day of the loneliness that I’ve endured for too long.

I dodge people in the hall, walking past my barely used locker. Why should I attempt to learn anything when the teachers don’t even call on me? I don’t even know why I show up anymore.

Then I remember. Trent Bradley.

Simply thinking the name brings his image to my mind and it makes me smile. He’s the one boy I have loved forever. He’s the reason I came out to my parents. The reason I got up in the morning. He’s also the one person I wished, every night before bed that he would take his eyes off of his current girlfriend and just look at me. I knew if he would just see me for only a moment, he would realize that he loved me too.

I stopped next to a random locker as I spotted him coming down the hall with his group of friends. As always he was the center of attention, everyone hanging off of his every word and I wondered if today would be that day that our eyes would meet.

I breathed out slowly, my eyes never leaving his. I watched as he got closer and my head turned, following him as he walked past me. Although my heart ached a little, I wasn’t surprised that yet another morning went by where I remained unnoticed.

I sat through classes and classes, always in the back. Not once did I get called on. Not once did a teacher even look my way. Do they even see me?

I walked into the cafeteria, my eyes searching for an empty table. I don’t even know why I searched; I always sat at the one in the back, alone. The one nobody wanted to sit at. I often wondered why but then figured out that it must be me. They didn’t want to sit next to the gay…

As I walked quietly over to my seat, I hid a rare smile when I found myself walking behind Trent. He dropped a paper on the floor and my eyes widened at the prospect of finally having a chance to talk to him. I bent down, reaching for it, only to have another boy snatch it from the floor and hand it back to the boy that I love. I watched Trent nod at the kid in thanks and send him a smile before walking away.

Figures, that it wouldn’t be me that he smiled at…

When the bell rang, I picked my head up from the table and instead of going to my next class; I let my feet carry me out into the sun. No sense in going back there. I’m sure they wouldn’t even notice that I’m gone.

I walked home, feeling more and more depressed, wondering how I could have become so invisible to everyone around me. Has it always been like this? I couldn’t even remember the last friend that I had. Have I ever had a friend?

No one was home when I made it into the house. I knew they wouldn’t be. I walked through the door and stopped short at the boxes sitting next to the door. I peered into the first box to see it full of my stuff. Are we moving? Did my parents not really hate me? Am I finally going to get a new start on life? One where no one knows me as the gay kid? Did I even want to?

As I stood at the entrance, I realized that I did in fact want a new start. I needed to be away from here. Away from the kids that hate me, away from the teachers that ignore me and more importantly away from Trent, he’d never want me anyway.

My whole day brightened as I walked past the table, stopping and doing a double take when I saw my picture plastered across the front page. The date was printed at the top, and I wondered briefly why my picture was in the paper a week ago.

I could feel myself slipping away from everything as I read the heading….

…Sixteen Year Old Boy Takes His Own Life Today…