Talking Flowers

When finally inside, I stopped again. I realized that I wasn't really sure where I was going.

"What are you waiting for?" Elliot snapped at me.

"...I don't remember where the stairs are..." I answered sheepishly. I had run in here earlier trying to get away from a small zombie mob, only to be chased by a rabid squirrel on the second floor, and then was ambushed by a straggler on the third, where I then tossed my bag through an open doorway in the hope that being more agile would allow me to better kill my way to safety. Then I was surprised by a boy with a gun. There was a lot going on, sorry I couldn't quite remember how I got here. And it's dark now; absolutely nothing looks the same!

He snatched the torch out of my hands this time and called me a name as he passed.

I followed close behind him. He turned left where the hallway split and at the end I could see the sign to the stairwell. Every time we passed an open door Elliot would search the room with a quick flash of light, and each time I held my breath. It was like being in a movie. I would be playing the skittish girlfriend while Elliot would be the boyfriend trying to show off and search the creepy building. In a movie, I'd probably have a tight grip on his arm, and he'd be reassuring me that we'd be ok. That nothing was going to get us...

What the actual hell am I saying?

I'm trailing a little too far for comfort again and before I can think to quicken my pace Elliot's already grabbed my wrist and is pulling me forward.

"You walk too damn slow."

We make it to the stairway in one piece, and we rush up to the third floor where I've left my bag. When we reach the door to exit the stairwell, Elliot tries to tugs at my arm.

I look back. "What? My bag is on the level."

He stays silent for a moment. "Have you ever been to the roof?"

"No. I've only been this building twice." This was the second.

He looked up at the stairs that would take you to the roof level, then turned back to me. He replied with a simple "Ok" and then proceeded to shove past me in silence through the door.

"Why? What's on the roof?"

"Nothing, as far I know."

Choosing not to feed into the bullshit mysteriousness, I stayed silent this time. All I needed was my bag, and then we could get the hell out of here.

Rucksack in one hand, crowbar in the other, all seemed to be going very well for me. Before I could begin my descent  to the first level, Elliot grabbed my arm.

"Wanna go to the roof?"

"Not really."

"Come on, I want to show you something."

"I thought there was nothing up there."

"There isn't."

"This conversation is taking a very creepy turn, Elliot."

"Forget it." He pushed past me for what had to be the third time today, and our conversation faded into the darkness with him. He didn't sound annoyed or angry, he just dropped it. Part of me felt bad that I didn't trust him, I mean, he had saved my life this morning. But I can't go following strange people into strange places after just meeting them.

That's just not how people stay alive.

Elliot did a quick check of the street before finally exiting the building. It had gotten much colder, and I couldn't have been more thankful for having shit back. I pulled a navy blue sweater with yellow writing from my rucksack and pulled it over my head. I smiled and hugged myself tight before realizing Elliot was watching me.

"Were you that cold?"

"Not really," I looked away sheepishly, still sort of smiling. "I just like this sweater."

"Why? It's ugly."

I punched him square in his chest as hard as I could. He actually looked surprised for a moment, and stumbled backwards.

I shoved my hands in my pocket to hide the fact that I sort of hurt myself, and wished him dead with my eyes.

"You're ugly."