Chapter Eight

Connor and Talia's office hadn't changed a bit since it was first built a hundred years ago, not since Elijah had been in charge his best friend at his side. Or at least the village would be a hundred years come the middle of the wet season. A celebration would be held in the middle of the village to celebrate the creation of Doiteain.

Kyoko wouldn't going. Ruby wouldn't be going, not to the main celebration at least. No one from Red Light would be going, they wouldn't be welcome and she didn't know anyone who'd put with the name calling. Along with the physical abuse that comes with such events. Instead it was another day for them, all it meant for her was a day off from the Academy.

No one could say the room wasn't calming to be in, but it wasn't the best set up for an office. There were a pond and fountain in the corner, a pond of koi fish. A decent sized pond, it always drew her eye.

If only because she was trying to spot the seals that stopped the wooden floors from rotting. Along with what type of seal they would have used, she knew it would be useful. Even if she just wanted to use it as a base for another seal. There was no doubt in her mind the pond was built by a Mage, the water was rarely cleaned despite the fact that it couldn't move very far.

Just whose idea was it in the first place? And did they have records on who built it?

A seal master of that skill should have their work published somewhere, even if it was only one clan had access to it or was only allowed to be given to Mage students who had gone through the Academy. Showing their leather bracelets to be able to buy them, that was the only way to make sure another village didn't get their secrets.

While still allowing information to past onto future generations with ease.

Taking Kenny's hand into her own, she sealed her staff away, it wasn't like they were going to get randomly attacked. She had read case files of intruders getting confused when they entered the room, most of them thinking that they had gotten the wrong room or turned at the wrong point. She had a feeling that there were secret doors, rooms and secrets. Objects that couldn't be found by anyone but the person who put them there.

"Well done," Talia told them, Conner buried underneath a pile of paperwork. If she was being honest, Talia and Conner looked like they were ready to retire, their son had been killed during on the last Major Wars. While their other son was interested in his books, burying himself in them then he was in running a village. "Missing Mage student has been found. Dania, can you get Mr Blackwater?"

"Of course," Dania told her.

"Kenny," Mr Blackwater said as he walked into the room, nodding his head towards Talia and Conner. Holding out his hand for his student to take, Kenny smiling as he walked towards the older man. "We'll need to talk about the six hours you've missed of lessons. I'm sure Miss Kyoko would know all about it."

"Quite," she told him, Kenny taking Mr Blackwater's hand with a giant grin on his face. It would seem she had transferred enough energy to him, he no longer looked like he was going to fall asleep on the spot. Keeping an eye on Adrianne was easy enough, she looked quite smug. As if she had discovered a trouble secret she could blackmail her with.

Kenny must have sensed something because he hid behind Mr Blackwater, the older man narrowing his eyes towards Adrianne, his lips being pulled into a thin line.

Even then, Adrianne could not tint her memories of her time in Mr Blackwater's office after finishing this mission. Where he'd give her a grade and report on where she could improve, offering different strategies that played to her strengths. While improving her weaknesses.

It was one of the few things she about the Academy, talking to Mr Blackwater in his office while he offered her cakes, tea and lessons plans.

"Miss Kyoko, why don't you come with us?" Mr Blackwater asked putting a hand on Kenny's shoulder. Talia passing passing her her pay slip, which she could collect from the payment office. "You should be able to help me with something."