Part 11

He found her sat outside on her own. Everyone else still in the kitchen, laughing about with the new boy. The mask pushed on top of her head, burns on her arms open and weeping.

"I'll go get something to clean her burns up." Flag had followed him as he had left, he didn't trust Red around anyone on his own. Hell, he didn't trust him at all when he was the Joker.

"Oh Layla, where the fuck did you find him?" He removed the mask from her head before pulling her in close. Like her father, she didn't say a word. Flag came back then. He gave her a bottle of whiskey to drink to numb the pain. He rubbed ointment on her arms and legs, all the time aware of The Joker eyes on his every move. She was focused on something in the distance. unresponsive, seemingly oblivious.

"So what is it about this one? Explain it to me man 'cos I just don't get it."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"How can this little bit make you human. When that crazy ma'fucka in there couldn't even do there with a goddamn degree?" Red looked at him for a moment. It was a question he had pondered all his life.

"Harley is attracted to what she can't tame, let's face it. Ultimate bad boy move here."They laughed together at that. "But Layla, have you ever heard the saying some people are attracted to each because their demons know each other? There's a demon between us, that unless you know it, you don't know a damn thing about it."

"I'm guessing that's where the pills come in?" Ace had walked out

"Why the fuck are you here. You should know to stay away." Ace laughed, a deep, lunatic like laugh.

"Time for change old man, time for a fuckin' change." he spoke with a drawl from outside of the city. "she flipped her script to a country boy, and you'll have to learn to live with it." Flag stood between them as they argued.

"The resemblance is uncanny right?" They turned to look at Layla, the first words she had spoken all the time. She wasn't looking at them, instead she was staring deep into the flames, running her fingers through it. A sight that should have been intimidating, if not for the look of loss on her face. Her eyes locked with Flag's. He had hated her since meeting her, but he pulled her close.

"It's ok princess, you're safe now."