》Chapter 1 《

It was a starry night in the 12th ward when a young ghoul bent over a lifeless body. It belonged to a human he had just killed.

Little did he know that we was being watched by most of the stars, as a shadow fell over him.

"This is my territory.", a voice grumbled.

Uta did not react, instead he kept taking out the human's eyes, his favourite snack.

"You don't want to listen? Well, then you got to-", the shadow approached the ghoul, "FEEL!"

But Uta dodged faster than the other ghoul had expected.

And with that, a fierce fight had started, both ghouls refused to use their kagune to not show the other how strong they really were.

Uta felt many cuts in his arms. One of his legs already began to limp. Still, the other ghoul had to take many of his hits as well.

With his next move, Uta threw his opponent against a wall, where the latter remained.

The tattooed ghoul waited tensely, but besides a wheeze of the other ghoul nothing happened.

He picked up the eyeballs and threw them in the air playfully. For a while he balanced them, then ate one.

How can a ghoul like that own such a huge territory?, he wondered.

"Rule number 1: never turn your back on your enemy.", was the last thing Uta heard before he hit the ground. The second eyeball rolled into a dark corner.

"So we are fighting unfair?", Uta grumbled back and jumped up again.

The other ghoul laughed brightly. Then he knew it: his opponent was a ghoula. But a hood hid her face.

She does not wear a mask, he thought.

He did not care that he himself did not wear one. In this ward nobody knew him anyway and he did not meet humans that often.

In the following fight Uta was about to loose. He had been wrong, this ghoula definitely was not weak. He even started to believe that she was mocking him, just to test how strong he really was.

Despite her hard hits he knew that it was not her full strength. How long would she play that game before finishing him off?

Had that been just a trick? When I 'won' against her a while ago?

"Don't you want to show me your kagune?", he asked, feeling exhausted from their fight.

"I could ask you the same.", was all she replied, then she hit him one last time.

Uta fell down but before he could get up again the young ghoula stood in front of him, twisting his right arm on his back.

He felt her warm breath when she bent down and whispered: "You could already be dead, you know that?"

"Then why am I still breathing?", Uta growled.

At that moment all clouds disappeared from the sky and the stars shone brighter than they ever did before.

When the light fell on Uta's face her grip became loose and he took the opportunity to push her away from him and now bent over her.

He quickly raised his hand and put down her hood.

The ghoula in front of him was beautiful.

He did not know her and yet it seemed like he knew her for a lifetime.

For a short moment they stared into each others eyes, then the ghoula freed herself and disappeared.

Unable to move, Uta remained in that dark alley for a while.

"Ashai...", he whispered.