Chapter One

It was a day like any other, except that it wasn't. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and the clouds clung to each other like tragic lovers about to be separated. The day of the King's birthday was around the corner. Servants scurried about the household, attending to chores and preparing for their Lord's departure. The neighing of horses could be heard echoing from the stables. Daisy disliked the chaos that preluded such events. Her insides turned with disgust at the thought of being paraded about before high ranking officials of the state.

She was in the process of taking her morning meal in her day room, enjoying the way the sunlight filtered in through the tall glass windows behind her, when her handmaid burst through the door, carrying an open basket in her arms. From its wide mouth spilled various colored fabrics adorned with exotic patterns. Daisy looked on, frustrated, as Rei set the basket onto the table, to the side of her, so that she could not avoid looking at it. Then she received a hard look from Rei and was forced to set down her utensils. Daisy dabbed at the corners of her lips with a cloth napkin before getting up from the table. Her chair scrapped across the floor as she pushed back.

"Well, m'lady, go ahead and pick out a few things so we can begin working on an outfit for the festivities," Rei said, pointing to the basket.

Daisy sighed. "Why can't I just wear one of my older dresses? I have plenty of them."

Despite her words, Daisy sifted through the items in the basket. She lifted a white chiffon silk from the pile and admired it. Purple and pink butterflies batted their gossamer wings, flitting across the pale canvas.

"No disrespect Highness, but it wouldn't do to attend the King's party in an older outfit. Isn't this your first time off the island? You should be more excited about having a new dress made."

Daisy couldn't disagree. She nodded and swept the silk over her arms and wrapped it about herself. She relished the cool feel of the fabric against her skin.

"There now," Rei said, eyes brightening. "That chiffon suits you."

"It's lovely," Daisy responded, imagining herself in a dress that was cut to hug her figure.

"I'm sure you'll be catching many eyes in that print."

Daisy did a small twirl about the room as she asked, "You think so?"

"I know so, m'lady! All the eligible men will be pleased to see you in it."

At this point, Daisy came to a stop. She turned to her handmaid and regarded her with a downcast expression. "Then this visit really is about finding me a husband."

Rei did not deny it. All she said was, "That will depend on Lord Ace, Highess."

Lord Ace. All of the servants referred to her brother as such. They didn't dare connect them as siblings in spite of the fact that they were twins.

"I sometimes wonder what my brother has planned for me," she said, placing the silk back into the basket. It sat at the top of the pile, looking even lovelier with the sun's rays kissing its elegant folds. Daisy found it hard to tear her gaze from it.

"Don't be distressed, Highness. I'm sure Lord Ace will pick a fine man to be your husband."

It was no secret that Ace was on a mission to find her a husband at this event and secure an alliance for the South. Still, Daisy hoped that she would be able to put off marriage a little longer. She was barely seventeen and far more interested in traveling than marriage. When she was younger, she had heard stories of the other three territories, like the Eastern Isle and the Western Lands. She had grown up listening to the adults speak of these places as often as they did the conflict between the Four Lords and Seven Knights. Yet, for all her nightly dreaming, not once had she been allowed to leave her home to see them for herself.