Chapter Three

As the night wore on Daisy grew increasingly bored of the flashy guests and stiff conversation. Desiring silence and fresh air, she excused herself from the hall, gave her handmaid instructions not to follow her, and exited the palace through one of its many doors. Once outside, Daisy sought peace and quiet in the surroundings of a small pagoda that breached the man made pond in the center of an outdoor courtyard. The tawny light bleeding through the palace's glass windows illuminated the pond's mirror like surface, allowing Daisy to catch a glimpse of her reflection in the water. The white chiffon was becoming against her pale skin and the way it hugged her body made her figure appear curvier than it actually was.

In the middle of examining herself, Daisy heard a noise behind her. She spun around to see that Aisha's chancellor was standing a few feet away. Beneath the soft glow of the palace lights Zhao Yun studied her, eyes wandering down, down, down. Daisy had a feeling that he was imagining what she would look like outside her dress and memorizing the places where he might touch her when and if they were wed. An instinctive shudder passed through her and she instantly regret the dress she wore and the excitement she had felt at getting to leave the island. If she could have, she would have bolted. But this scene was not one she could flee from. The man before her was one of great power and his lust was on display for one reason alone - he intended to be the first to lay claim to her hand.

Gathering her wits, Daisy relaxed. "Chancellor Zhao Yun," she said to him in greeting, dipping her head.

Zhao Yun grinned. "Highness. Do you often seek to be alone?"

"Yes," she replied quickly. Then, correcting herself she said, "No, I'm just not used to being surrounded by so many people."

Zhao Yun nodded. "Makes sense. The Southern territory is such an isolated place after all. I suppose you don't have many events on the island?"

"We have plenty of events but they attract a much smaller crowd." Daisy swept her gaze over the Chancellor's dewy pallor as she said this. She realized that he'd been drinking. There was a slight red tint to his cheeks.

Noticing her gaze, Zhao Yun lifted a hand to his face and chuckled. "Ah, my good mood must be showing. It's quit a lively party inside."

He was clearly embarrassed, but Daisy was unaffected by his boyish charm. "Unlike me, you must attend events like this all the time Chancellor."

He nodded and another chuckle filled the silence. "The King is big on parties."

"Is he? I don't know much about him."

Zhao Yun held out his arm for her to take and they began to walk about the pagoda. Daisy admired the night sky and twinkling stars. It was a such beautiful night, and a shame that she had to spend it in the company of a man she cared nothing for. She was only half listening as Zhao Yun talked her ear off about the King. She knew all there was to know about him, but had been desperate to find an excuse to keep from talking about herself or her home. She tuned in again however, when the Chancellor brought up her brother.

"I hear Lord Ace is eager to see you married by next year."

Zhao Yun's comment caught Daisy off guard. Suddenly she stopped and released his arm. "Where did you hear that?" she asked, feeling unsettled by the direction in which the conversation was going.

Zhao Yun cleared his throat and thought for a moment. Tiny silver discs on his sleeves flashed in the moonlight as he crossed his arms. "It had to have been a few months back," he said, still thinking. "Last time I saw Lord Ace was at a strategic meeting of sorts."

"And instead of discussing strategy, he brought this up?"

Zhao Yun stumbled over his words. "Well, you know how those meetings can drag on. We had to find something to talk about during the short breaks in between."