Chapter 1

Twilight's POV

        "Twilight! Twilight!" Spike yelled as he raced into the room. He carried a small scroll, and he looked out of breath.

        "What is it Spike?" I asked. I used my magic to unfurl the scroll. "Dear Princess Twilight," I read aloud. "Princess Celestia and Princess Luna request your presence in Canterlot immediately!" Spike gasped. "There's no time to lose. Come on, Spike!" I shouted, frenzied. He nodded and hopped on my back. I ran out of the castle doors and took off. We flew to Canterlot as quickly as possible. As we neared Canterlot, I could immediately tell something was wrong. Ponies weren't talking loudly on the streets, they were whispering quietly and quickly glancing up at me through the clouds. This less-than-warm welcome worried me. Had I done something wrong?

        I landed on the footsteps of the palace. Two guards stopped me. Cadance stepped out of the doors of the palace.

        "Twilight!" she exclaimed.

        "Cadance!" I replied.

        "Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake. Clap your hooves and do a little shake!" we chanted in unison. The guards then let me past.

        "Cadance, what's going on?" I asked.

        "I'm not sure. Luna said they would tell us both when you got here, but it doesn't seem good." Cadance answered. She seemed calm, but I knew she was just as nervous and confused as I was. We arrived outside the doors to the throne room. "Well, here we go." Cadance whispered. She opened the door with her magic.

        "Twilight. You're here." Princess Luna said, a look of mild surprise and impatience on her face. I was surprised to see her holding Flurryheart. "Shall we get started then?"

        "Yes." Princess Celestia replied calmly. "We have summoned you here because we need you both to help defend Canterlot against an external threat." Luna glared at her, obviously annoyed by something. Celestia simply looked at her calmly, which made Luna scowl. Cadance and I exchanged glances. Why was Luna upset?

       "Why is Flurryheart needed here then? Why couldn't she have stayed in the Crystal Empire, where she's safe?" Cadance asked.

        "She wouldn't have been, not if there weren't any alicorns there to protect her." Luna answered evenly. This time Celestia glared. Luna continued, "We believe the threat is directed towards the alicorns of Equestria. Leaving Flurryheart on her own would have been a foolish move."

        Just then, three royal guards burst through, looking panicked. "She is here!" one of them announced, panting.

        "Get everypony underground." Celestia told the guards. Celestia looked at Cadance and I and addressed us next. "Twilight. Cadance. Take Flurryheart and go to the caves beneath Caterlot. Protect the ponies." Celestia rose into the air. "Luna and I will handle her." Celestia siad defiantly, but her voice shook slightly. When Luna handed Flurryheart to me, I could've sworn she was shaking in fear. As I turned to leave with Cadance, a question rose in my mind. What was so powerful that even the ancient princesses would be that terrified?