Chapter 5

Celestia's POV

        We stood at the edge of Mirrored Cove, the beautiful lake I had loved when I was a filly. I looked at Twilight Sparkle , Cadance, Flurryheart, and my sister. Twilight was staring ahead, at the city. Cadance was staring behind, at the gardens. Luna was staring at the lake, her eyes clouded with memories. I had lots of memories here too, of my friends, of Luna, and of myself alone. The lake was so peaceful, unlike any other place in the Empire. I wished I was back in Equestria, the place I now called home. As Luna's eyes began to water, I decided it would be best not to linger here any longer.

        "I believe it would be best if we keep moving. They will be expecting us in the city." I spoke, trying to sound calm. Luna looked at me with an expression of desperation. My thoughts mirrored her actions. However, I knew I had to try to seem strong, for the others, and especially for Luna. Twilight nodded.

       "Lead the way," Twilight responded. She was the only one here who did not seem terrified, and that worried me. If she spoke out too much, it would certainly have negative consequences of her and possibly all of us. However, I didn't voice my concern for fear of being overheard. I took a deep breath, and started making our way towards the capitol of the Empire, Highstar City. Two guards appeared before we could get very far.

        "We've been asked to escort all of you to Sungazer Castle," one of them, the larger one, said in a gruff voice. I nodded. The smaller one's horn lit up in a wonderful shade of green. We instantly appeared just outside the Grand Hall, a room I had only been in once. The stallion spoke again. "You have two minutes until the meeting begins." Then they walked off. Luna looked up at me nervously.

        "The last time we were here," she began, "we were getting our instructions to go to Equestria." I nodded. I remembered that day perfectly. It was one of my favorite memories. "I wonder why we're here now." Luna whispered, staring off into the empty hallway. Then her eyes snapped back into focus, and she glanced at me before addressing the others. "Twilight. Cadance." She called for their attention. "You two should know, they are a lot more formal here than in Equestria. They have a general rule that you should remember: Don't speak unless spoken to."

        "But why? Don't they want to hear everypony's opinion?" Twilight asked angrily. Luna shook her head.

        "That's just the way it is." she answered sadly.

        A single guard walked out of the Grand Hall. He gestured for us to enter. The door swung open. I kept my head up high as walked to the part of the giant table with my namecard at it. Twilight and Cadance looked around in wonder. It reminded me of when I first entered this place when I was a young mare.

       "Welcome," a young mare said. I could barely see her because the lights were so dim. I couldn't tell who it was, but they certainly had a flair for the dramatic. "We've been expecting you." The lights began to glow, and I realized I knew exactly who this pony was. Artemisa was princess?

        "Greetings, your highness." Luna said, somehow keeping her voice calm, although she looked as baffled as I was. Artemisa just smiled.

        "It's been such a long time since I've seen you, Celestia. You as well, Luna." Artemisa looked genuinely happy to see us, which I was not expecting. She dismissed the guards. "Let me introduce myself to you," she addressed Twilight, Cadance, and Flurry Heart. "My name is Princess Artemisa. What are your names?" she asked. As surprised as I was, I was pleased to see Artemisa as Princess. She was not as formal and stuck-up as her father.

        "My name is Princess Mi Amora Cadenza, and this is my sister in law, Princess Twilight Sparkle, and my daughter, Princess Flurryheart." Cadance said, somewhat proudly. Artemisa smiled. 

        "Nice to meet you," she replied. She looked at Luna and I next. "You're probably wondering how I ended up as princess," she laughed. I just nodded politely. "Prince Maximus, my father, died in battle about a year ago. That's one of the reasons I've summoned you here, actually." She sat up straighter. "The Alicorn Empire is under attack, and we would appreciate your assistance."

        "Attack from who?" Twilight, Cadance, and I asked in unison, but Luna seemed to know the answer.

        "The Tantabus." Artemisa replied gravely.