Chapter 2

Cadance's POV

       "Everypony, calm down. Please, you'll all be alright. Just calm down." I assured all the frantic Canterlot ponies in the caves. I felt so bad for them. I knew how terrifying this must be for them. These caves were not the most welcoming place, but at least they were safe.

        I sighed. I never thought I would have to be back in those caves, yet there I was.  I stood up straighter. Moping about what happened in the past wouldn't help anyone in the present. I walked over to Twilight, who was sitting in the corner by herself holding Flurryheart. I sat down next to her.

         "I never thought we'd be back here." Twilight whispered, but there was more curiosity in her voice than fear.

        "That makes two of us." I replied. I watched as Flurryheart stared up at me intently. From the looks of it, she thought we were just playing a game. Who in their right mind would want to harm my little baby?

        "Why do you think Luna and Celestia were so angry at each other?" Twilight asked. I frowned. It was very unlike them to be fighting like they were.

        "I don't know." I answered truthfully. Twilight's frown deepened.

        "What do you think they're fighting? They were obviously trying to hide something." Twilight asked. I looked at her, impressed. I hadn't realized they were trying to hide something, though I wouldn't ever admit that. Twilight looked up for a moment. It was evident from her face that she had an idea. "What if it's another alicorn?"

       "Why would you think that?" I asked. I hadn't been expecting that theory.

        "Well," she replied, "we know that Flurryheart is the first pony born an alicorn. That means somepony must have trained Celestia and Luna,right? What if that somepony is evil? What if they're angry at Celestia and Luna for something? Wouldn't that pony be somepony the sisters are genuinely  scared of?"

        "Twilight, that theory has a lot of gaping holes in it." I said skeptically.

        "And so do the origins of Celestia and Luna," Twilight countered.

         "I'm not saying your explanation is wrong, Twilight. I'm just saying there's not enough proof to prove it right," I said. Twilight nodded.

         "Once we get out of here, we'll ask them." Twilight declared. "I've done enough guessing and theorizing, I want to know the truth."

        "Me too. But for now, let's focus on the problem at hand now. Deal?" I asked.

        "Deal." Twilight responded, smiling at me. I loved my sister-in-law.

        Just then, we heard hoofsteps. We got to our feet, ready to fight. Luna came rushing in the caves immediately. She looked out of breath and terrified. She took a deep breath, and stood up straight.

        "The threat is no longer an issue. We will all return to the surface now." As soon as Twilight began leading the ponies, she motioned me aside. She whispered quickly and quietly, "Tell Twilight that both of you are needed in the palace, as well as the baby. I can't explain now, I swear I will soon. I'm so sorry to put you both through this." She gave me a helpless look, and teleported away. I ran to catch up with the ponies. Whatever was going on, Luna was genuinely terrified. And if this was enough to terrify the ruler of the night, then this was the most powerful thing I would ever face. This thing wanted the alicorns of Equestria. That meant my daughter. A new resolve filled me. I didn't care what this thing was, or why it wanted us. No one touches my daughter.