Chapter 1: The Ancient Well of Truth

I finally did it. I finally let him go. Why didn't I listen to Chiyo in the first place? If I continued to claim that I was his girlfriend, I wouldn't have felt so betrayed right now.

I sighed as I walked up the stone steps, leading to the usual shrine I go to. I haven't been here since New Year's. If you were confused by what I mentioned, I had just broke up with my three year long-standing boyfriend during my first year of college. My best friend, Fubuki Chiyo, had been warning me not to get involved with Ogiwara Ren. He was a well known play boy back in high school, while I was a naive girl who ignored her best friend's warnings. I thought that I would be able to change him. I thought I would be like those shoujo manga heroines. Too bad I'm not.

"Time to pray that I'll find something better to do in life." Tossing my money into the box I clapped my hands together to pray.

Hopefully this time my undecided major will change. I don't want to stay undecided too long and not know what I'm going to do in life. Besides...what can I do now? I can't change one person's life or find a good major that will lead me to a job. What can someone like me do?

After ringing the bells, I slowly walked down the stairs. Unsure of what to do next. Binge eat at Chiyo's apartment or be proactive in learning. The first one seemed more tempting.

In the midst of my thoughts, a soft wind zoomed passed me. Causing me to look up to see a few cherry blossom petals within the wind.

"Cherry blossoms?" I blinked in surprise. The trees around the shrine weren't cherry blossom trees. In fact the cherry blossom trees were closer to my college, not here. Curious of where the cherry blossom petals were coming from, I followed the direction of where the wind blew. It was past the string of emas, so I walked around it hoping none of the shrine elders or priestesses noticed me walking past there.

Trudging through, I soon found a small trail of pink petals that continued to grow and grow until I saw this. A beautiful cherry blossom tree standing beside an old well that would've came out of fairytale.

"Wow." It took my breath away. I never seen such a beautiful scenery. It was almost mystical. As I walked closer to take a look at the well, a voice sounded in my mind.

"Can you hear me?"

"Huh?" I froze in place. It was a man's voice that sounded in my mind. I turned around a few times to see if there was someone behind me, but no one was there. How eerie.

"I-It can't be a ghost or something right?"

"Don't worry, I'm not malicious." I jolted in shock. There was a sinking feeling in me that the voice was coming from the well, but a part of me refused to ignore common sense and headed straight for the well to see.

It was difficult to see the bottom. Lucky for me, no one was there.

"Fweh..." I sighed in relaxation. "No ghosts...I must have been delusional for a sec-"

And for once, I was stupid enough to lean on the edge of stone well. Causing me to tumble into the well. I screamed in shock, "AHHHH!"

However there was no end, it just continued on and on. I couldn't feel a single splash of water or dirt on my face like I'd expect. I just continued to fall in limbo.

"Help me."

A voice? No...it's not the same voice as earlier.

"Help me."

"I don't want to break yet."

"Help me."

Cracking my eye open, I saw a shape take form in front of me. My eyes widened in surprise.

"A-A sword?!" I whisper yelled. "What's a sword doing here?!"

"Help me!" This time the voice sounded louder, but in a pained tone. It continued getting louder the more I inched closer to the sword.

Was it just me...or was the sword or spirit in pain?

Once I was within arms length of the sword, my hand soon moved on its own. Without hesitation, I grabbed the sword closer. Clutching it into my chest along with my bag in tow.

"...!" Its heavy!

I gritted my teeth.

But I'm not going to stop.

What's the point in living if I can't save the life of a spirit dwelling in a sword?!

"I'm not going to let you break!" I screeched out loud before losing my consciousness amidst the darkness of well.