Chapter 30

My wheelchair jerked to halt as Blake stopped quickly. “Marcus?” he repeated incredulously.

            I squinted against the bright sunshine. “Yeah, he’s leaning against the car in the driveway.”

            “What do you want to do?”

            I debated with myself internally for a moment before letting out a long breath. “I think I should probably talk to him. Obviously ignoring his calls and texts aren’t getting the message through to him.”

            Blake started pushing the wheelchair towards the house again. Marcus spotted us and straightened up from his slouched position. He didn’t say anything as we approached him.

            When we were closer, I got a good look at him and my eyes widened slightly. His light brown hair that he’d always had carefully styled was now long and lifeless as it flopped over his forehead. His green eyes that had always sparkled with mischievousness and playfulness were now dull and had a haunted look in them. He had dark circles under his eyes and his cheeks were hollower. He looked like death warmed over, and that surprised me almost more then actually seeing him.

            I put a hand on one of Blake’s and he stopped once more. I looked up at Marcus and studied him for a moment. “You look like hell,” I told him bluntly.

            His lips twitched the slightest bit, but he didn’t smile. “Thanks.”

            “What are you doing here?”

            He brought a hand up and scrubbed it over his face roughly. “You wouldn’t answer my calls.”

            “That should have told you that I have no desire to talk to you.”

            He lowered his hand again and gave me a pleading look. “Hailey, please. I just want to talk to you, explain to you what happened that night.”

            I bristled. “I know what happened that night,” I hissed, gesturing to my wheelchair. “I was there, remember?”

            Marcus flinched, but stood his ground. “I know. But I want to tell you my side of the story.”

            “Your side? Marcus, you were drunk and had another girl in the car with you that distracted you enough to cause you to run my parent’s car off the road. What else could you possibly have to tell me?”

            Blake put his hands on my shoulders and rubbed them soothingly. “I don’t think she wants to talk to you,” he said in a deceptively calm voice.

            Marcus looked at him briefly and then back at me. The pain that was evident in his eyes made my breath catch a little. “I saw the video of you two,” he said quietly. “It was then that I realized I had to at least come here and try to talk to you. Please Hailey, just hear me out.”

            After a moment of hesitation, I finally nodded. “Fine. Lets go inside so we don’t freeze. It might be a nice day out, but it’s still the middle of winter.”

            Blake bent down so he could talk quietly in my ear. “Are you sure you want to do this?”

            I turned my head so I could give him a light kiss. “No, but I think I need to.”

            “Okay.” He stood straight again, but instead of pushing me forward, he spoke to Marcus. “We’ll go in and talk. But if you do or say anything to upset her, I will hurt you. And don’t think the fact that I’m blind will stop me.”