Chapter 7: The Shaman

After a week from Paju, Jiwoo decided to go visit the shaman.

Lee Sooman and Seokju together have finalized her schedule. She now had activities to follow in the upcoming future, consisting of music shows, photo shoots, variety shows, interviews, etc. The three have all agreed that she will go to each NCT activity listed no matter what time, whether it be early in the morning, late at night, or RIGHT around during her fixed work hours from 3 pm to 9 pm. As an "intern" for the NCT team, she'll go when needed.

And with this sudden shift to her daily life, the young composer felt it'd be best to get some much-needed advice from the old man that had helped her thus far.

Maybe get some charms, renew her rituals? Perhaps get some insight as to whether this was a good idea or not?

Jiwoo needed some answers.

She absolutely needed the reassurance that she can do this. That she has to do this job and do well on it.

However if the shaman says otherwise, she will listen.

Two in the afternoon of a not-so-hectic Thursday. She was in the midst of Seoul, just dropped off at the sidewalk of a busy intersection. It was a cloudy day, but the sun still attempted to peek through with its warmth, giving Jiwoo a determined feeling for a good conclusion of her visit.

Before her, a tall brick building stood. The entrance into here was straight into a boutique shop, one that had become Jiwoo's favorite since moving into Seoul years ago. And just through the store to the stairs in the back would lead to the shaman's own area. The young woman always thought it was the perfect place as she could always browse around at the unique clothing and accessories after having met the wise man.

Stepping into the boutique, she was instantly greeted by the owner of the shop, an older woman in her early fifties with the always-friendly smile. Jiwoo beamed back at her, sending a wave. "Good morning, Rosie-sshi, I haven't seen you in a while."

"Here to see my husband?" Rosie asked as she continued to fold shirts to put out for sale.

The younger's eyes glazed over to the new pieces of jewelry out on the display tables. She grinned in excitement, at the sight of the simple thin leather choker with a moon shaped emblem hanging from it. It was totally her style, but she'll have to look at it later. She was here for a mission. "Yes ma'am, is he in?"

"Yeah, just go on up ahead."

With that, Jiwoo bid her goodbyes and shuffled up the stairs to an open hallway. Remembering the place just fine after so many months, she turned to the right, where red silk curtains closed off the room. "Shaman-nim? It's me, Shim Jiwoo," she called outside the room.

Barely a second, the man she came to see pulled open the curtains. There, in his ragged, tan robes, and scraggy appearance, the shaman, Sanghyuk, appeared before her. Jiwoo bared a grin and bowed respectfully to the man. "Ah, Jiwoo-sshi, hello. I almost thought you have moved on since I haven't seen you for a few months now!" The man bellowed with a hearty laugh.

"No way, I always need your advice," the composer chimed.

"Come on in, then."

The two walked in the room. Jiwoo sat on the floor, just at one side of the table, as Shaman Sanghyuk sat on the opposite, facing her. The room had a subtle haze, an aromatic smell wafting in the air with burnt essence. Traditional masks and written charms aligned his walls, just like her studio at SM's seventh floor. He also had a shelf filled with thick, worn-out books and scrolls. Jiwoo couldn't help but think the place reminded her of homes in historical dramas, with the way everything was decorated.