Chapter 2: Flashback

(Flashback to three years ago)

Ordindal was humming a happy tune while working on his iron works. He was hammering away at a piece of metal that he was turning into a sword. He placed the red hot iron into the water and steam simmered out as the iron cooled. Once finish, Ordindal took out the sword and held it up into the air. Proud of the work he did on the blade, he flipped the sword over to check his work when he heard footsteps of a young teen.

"What's that you got there, Ordindal?"

Ordindal didn't have to look to see that it was his young apprentice Hiccup. He saw that his sword was perfect and turned to toss to Hiccup. "Catch."

Grabbing a hold of the sword, Hiccup was surprised to see that the blade did not weigh that much. "Wow, so light." Hiccup test the blade by swinging it. "But I don't think it will hold up in battle" Hiccup gave the blade back to Ordindal and was sad to see such fine work go unused.

"That's what I thought too. Until I did this...." Ordindal swung the sword at a tree and it slit through the trunk like butter. Once through, Ordindal turned around as the tree fell to the ground. "See, not a nick in the blade at all." Ordindal handed the blade back to Hiccup so he could see for himself.

"This is amazing." Hiccup was awestruck by the power of this new iron. "Think of all we could accomplish with this. We can build better weapon." Hiccup had ideas flowed through his head, until a question roared in his head. "How did you come by this?"

Ordindal began to think as he spoke "Came across a few Gronkles that we eating. A few of them were sick so I tried to help them. Though at the end, they barfed up quite a lot of lava."

Hiccup eyes widen as he realized the answer. "So this is made out of..."

"I call it Gronkle Iron. I made so many items with it that I'm hoping I don't run out before I'm done with all of my ideas" Ordindal pointed to his weapons on the side of the shop.

"Interesting" Hiccup looked at the weapon as he ran his hand over it.

"I was hoping it could help you with tomorrow." Ordindal look at Hiccup with worriedness.

"Don't worry. I'll be fine." Hiccup walked into his own spot in the corner to take out his own invention. "I've been working on something that will help me out. Because well you know"

"Can't lift a hammer, can't swing an axe or through one of these" Ordindal held up two heavy iron balls that were tied together by a long rope that was called a Bola.

"Thank you Ordindal." Hiccup said sarcastically as he finished digging through his stuff to bring out a large circular objected made of wood that was as big as Hiccup's upper body.

"A shield?" Now Ordindal was just confused.

"Not just any shield. With this shield I can...." Hiccup put his hand on a trigger and the large half sphere wooden object in the middle of the shield flung forward, with a lot of rope behind it, wrapped around Ordindal, like a hookshot, and pulled Hiccup to the giant man.

Ordindal look at the rope that was wrapped around him to the shield that was connected to Hiccup. "Handy"

Hiccup undid the rope and released Ordindal. "I haven't worked out most of the kinks and I'm sure I will be able to use it for tomorrow." Hiccup placed the shield on the table and could see Ordindal coming over to his work stations to take a closer look at the shield.

"Hiccup"

The two looked up from the shield to see Hiccup's mother, Valka, at the door.