Ch. 17

Leo

I was so worried about Annabeth that I couldn't eat when Percy and I went to the hospital cafeteria to grab some grub.

To be honest, though, he looked no better. His eyes had bags under them, his fingers kept tapping rapidly on the table in front of us, and he picked at his burger like he didn't care about it.

"She'll be fine." He muttered. I wondered if he wasn't talking to me or himself.

"Yeah, man. Our girlie is a strong one." I tried to disperse the tension, but it did nothing.

"Leo, the doctor said it was really bad." Percy took a deep breath, "Said they'd have to get the infection out now or it would spread to her blood."

That was, I admit, really scary. I couldn't bear to think of Annabeth being gravely ill. It made my stomach twist into knots. I couldn't go without her. She was my best friend.

"She'll be fine." My voice cracked but I just cleared my throat and continued, "The real problem is, how are we going to pay the bill?"

Percy shook his head, "Leo, I've got that handled." He looked at me with a soft expression.

"Dude, we're talking about a lot of money." I reminded him. He gave me an expression that's best translated as 'So?'

My mouth was slightly agape, "Dude, you really are head-over-heels for her."

"Shut up, Leo." He blushed slightly which pretty much proved it.

"She won't like it." I told him.

"So?"

"Dude, you're supposed to do whatever she likes. It's part of being a good boyfriend. Keep her happy and--" Percy threw a piece of burger bun at me, a gesture that reminded me of Annabeth so much it made my heart clench.

"I'm not her boyfriend." He disagreed.

"But you'd like to be." I replied, taking a drink of soda. Percy glared at me but didn't say I was wrong.

"I'm going to go back and check on her." I decided, standing up. Percy nodded and continued picking at his food.

She was still asleep when I got back to her, her face ashen and her breathing even. I stood next to her for a minute, compassion for the girl that was like my sister filling my heart.

I could joke around with Percy while she was sick but that didn't mean I wasn't worried out of my mind still. That coping mechanism that I had used all of my life would never work when Annabeth was the thing I was trying to cope with.

"Hey my bad-butt best friend." I dragged over a chair and sat beside her, looking at her silently. She didn't move.

"Your knight in shining armor is just finishing his burger downstairs. I'm sure he'll come up here in a minute. I guess you're just getting your beauty rest while you wait, huh?"

Annabeth moved slightly, "Shut up, Leo."

"Ah," I laughed in relief, "You're right, you don't need beauty rest, Percy already thinks you're just about the sexiest girl on the planet. I think that if you were any more beautiful he'd just explode."

She swatted at me which was so endearing and familiar I almost cried. But I was a manly man so I didn't.

She didn't call me any names but grunted in irritation which was good enough. "Ow..." She winced.

"Stop moaning, Annabeth." I patted her hand, "But, I bet that's definitely not what--"

"No," She actually seemed to be in pain as her face contorted in agony. I shot up, all humor draining away.

"Annabeth?" I asked. She didn't respond so I pressed the red button on the wall to call a nurse and grimaced at the shrill ringing that pierced the air.

A nurse came in and ushered me out almost immediately, telling me that they had it under control, and shut the door in my face.

The last thing I saw was someone loading up a syringe with liquid before the room was blocked from my vision.

()()()