Ch. 21

Leo

Yes, I knew those two were whispering back there.

No, I was not about to stop them.

Hey, who could blame me? Percy was a stand-up guy. And, even though Annabeth was basically my sister and I didn't like the idea of any guy thinking of her... Um... Y'know... Romantically I knew that Percy would never hurt her. I knew he loved her. Not lust. Love. Actual love. I could see it in the way he looked at her and treated her.

So, I was okay with them whispering in the car behind my back. And I knew Annabeth was opening up to him finally so I was also okay with stopping  at a gas station to take a leak and leaving them in the car.

I didn't expect to see her there.

Calypso's back was to me as I walked in the store and my heart stuttered. I wondered what she was doing here, so far from home, almost out of New York. She was sipping a soda quietly in one of the booths.

I wanted to do say hi. To ask her if she was okay. But I didn't. I turned from her and went to the bathroom. We were broken up.

After doing my business, I still took a few moments to linger by the door. I waited to see if she would move but she didn't.

Finally, gathering up my courage, I headed towards the booth. Calypso looked up at me in shock, setting her drink down.

"Leo?" She asked, scrunching her eyebrows together, "Why are you here..." She looked down.

"More like, why are you here?" I asked, putting my hands in my pockets.

"I'm going on a road trip with some friends." She admitted, "They're all in the bathroom."

I assumed they were all girls since there were no guys in the bathroom and felt a weight lift off my heart.

"Well," I swallowed, "Don't be a stranger, Calypso. If you ever need anything..."

"You're sweet Leo." She turned away from me, "But I'd rather if you would leave me alone."

It felt like she'd stabbed me in the heart, but I nodded and backed up.

"Okay, Calypso. Bye." I said quietly. She didn't respond.

I turned towards the drink coolers and got three sodas, deciding that we would need them on our trip. But I also kind of wanted Calypso to see that I wasn't alone either. That I had people with me too.

I kinda hoped she'd be jealous but I knew she didn't like me like that anymore. I paid for the drinks and made my way back to the car.

Percy and Annabeth were sitting silently when I got back in the car and handed them their drinks. They thanked me but said nothing else.

I turned the radio up and got back on the road, wondering what the two had been up to while I was gone.

And wondering what Calypso would be up to after I had left.