Ch. 20

Annabeth

My head was fuzzy as I felt a sharp pain in the crook of my arm. I could barely open my eyes but I knew what was happening. Alarms were screaming, people were yelling...

Guns were firing.

"Oh shi--" I groaned, the rest of my word covered by the sirens.

"Annabeth, we're gonna get you out of here." I heard Percy at my side. I forced my eyes open, barely able to see. Leo was finishing unhooking me from a machine.

"There has been an attack on the hospital. Everything is under control. We ask patients to please stay with their nurses and doctors and to not leave their rooms. Again, we ask patients to not leave their--"

I was unhooked from the machines and Leo grabbed one of my arms, supporting some of my weight. As soon as I was upright I felt as though I would puke. Sharp pain shot through my leg. Percy grabbed my waist and I instinctively leaned away from him. He pulled away slowly.

At the moment, I was so glad that I had rebelled against the nurses and put on a pair of sweatpants before I fell asleep. I hadn't been able to put on a decent top without taking out the wires that were connected all over my arms, however, so I had to just tie up my hospital gown. Though, it probably showed some the skin of my back still which was extremely uncomfortable with Percy there.

"She can't support herself and we have to run." Leo said to Percy.

"Oh I so can support myself you--" Then I almost lost my balance and the boys worriedly lunged forward to catch me. I smiled sheepishly.

"I'll carry her." Percy offered, stepping forward.

"Oh-- um-- no." I tried to back up. He looked pained.

"Just let him carry you, Annabeth. It's not like he has cooties." Leo said.

I glared at my friend before looking back at Percy. I jerked my head like whatever but my heart had started trying to escape my chest by bashing itself against my ribs.

Percy picked me up softly and I tried to ignore that his neck and ears were burning red.

"Oh, am I seeing into the future?" Leo patted Percy's back, grinning, then made kissy-noises, "Just remember that it's not actually your honeymoon. Yet."

"Just go, Valdez!" I groaned. My head was pounding and my leg ached. I seriously didn't want to hear Leo teasing me or Percy.

"Alright, but neither of you have denied it." He winked and rushed towards the door.

"The only dude I know that would joke while a gang is shooting up the place." Percy shook his head and started walking.

I tried to refrain from laying my head on Percy's chest but after a while of running I was seriously getting tired of getting jarred around and my neck was sore already. After a bit I started to softly lay my head against his shoulder, then out of exhaustion obviously, I rested my head against him. His heart was hammering. I wondered if it was from the adrenaline or...

Just then, the doctor that had treated me burst through the emergency doors. He paused for a moment then rushed towards us. He grabbed my arm roughly and balled his fist.

"Hands off her!" Percy jerked me free of the dude's grip then dodged as the guy tried to punch him in the jaw. Leo shoved the guy into a wall, slamming his head.