Chapter 6 - Logan

JUNE 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

±!@#$%^&*()_+

Rod's Diner has been used as neutral territory for pack business since my family first lived here. The current owner is Rod's son Malcolm. He is a werewolf in his forties who stayed behind with his family when our pack first moved. His father was too attached to the diner and refused to leave, even though he was terminally ill. Malcolm stayed to take care of him in his last few years of life, and then took over the business. He's got a wife of his own and two boys who are fourteen and fifteen years old, all of whom work with him.

This is where I've chosen to meet with the Connollies, on the off chance that a conflict will ensue, to give everybody a way out. The "closed" sign greets us at the front door, but Malcolm lets us in immediately.

The diner looks the same as it did in my parents' photo albums, only a bit worn out. The colors red and white dominate the doors, counters, tables, sofas and chairs, and the floor tile is checkered black and white. A few tables are messy with food remains, but the others are shining and reflecting the light from the lamps. We sit at the table in the far end corner. Cade and his brothers are the ones I asked to come with me, along with Sadie and Reena.

"This place is... interesting," my mate mutters when we enter. She's not one to love places that sell junk food. She's very health conscious.

For some illogical reason, Reena chose to wear something extremely revealing. We're in the middle of spring, yet she's wearing jean shorts and a tight white blouse which makes her eyes bluer and hips curvier than usual. Combining that with her natural olive skin tone, long and straight black hair, sharp features, and striking good lucks, she looks as though she has just came back from a day of tanning at the beach.

On the one hand, I'm uneasy at the thought of other guys ogling her. It's bad enough that Jared and Sam eyed her up and down before we left the compound. But on the other hand, she is undeniably sexy, and my satisfaction over the fact that she is mine makes me want to show her off.

"Think Mom and Dad would remember this place if they came here?" Cade asks his brothers.

"Definitely," Sam and Jared answer back simultaneously.

"It must be as old as they are," Jared jokes.

"If not older," Sam plays along.

Their usual banter always starts this way, but they are interrupted by Sadie this time.

"Can you imagine how much history the pack has here?" she comments with a fascination that negates Reena's disgust and Nashes' mockery. "What if some of our parents met in this very diner? It's so cool to think we're literally standing in their place right now."

She took the words right out of my mouth. I think she may have even said them for my benefit. Every new place I visit in this town is yet another link I have to my parents. Yesterday, after Cade and I had come back, I spent a considerable amount of time just walking around the pack house. I visualized what my parents might have done at one point in their lives in each room. I could imagine them having breakfast together in the kitchen, or lounging around in the playing room, or just relaxing in their bedroom, which I am now occupying.

"Maybe for you guys," Reena murmurs so low that only I hear, because my ear is right by her mouth. My arm is around her waist guiding her towards the farthest table in the corner.

"Don't think like that," I try to reassure her.

Thing is,tryis the keyword. She has been getting very pessimistic about her family for the last couple of days. At first, I thought of it as a chance for me to act as her protector, but she's doing it so frequently now that I'm only half-heartedly trying.