Chapter 19 - Michael

JUNE 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

±!@#$%^&*()_+

During the three days I spend home, I really come to appreciate school. And my cat. Burns is my only companion during my house arrest. He even stays with me when I shift, a fact that's always amazed me. He doesn't do that with my brothers, but for some reason, when I shift, he doesn't mind being around me. I haven't spent this much time with him since he was a kitten, and that was two years ago.

My parents refuse to give me back my phone no matter how much I beg. And I seriously beg. But since I can't tell them why I need it, they don't relent. Can you imagine their reaction if I told them that not only was I applying for college and basically going against their word, but that someone also found out my secret? That would be the last straw, for sure. My dad would hate me.

So I suck it all up when they send me back to my room every night, and I stay with Burns. At one point, I think of contacting Sadie online somehow, but then I find out they also turned down our Wifi until I've learned my lesson. Oh, and the icing on the cake? The landline is off limits. Seriously, it's like I'm cut off from the rest of the world. And for what? Getting my period?

Ew! Why did I just think that?

I've never skipped this many school days in a row. The most I've ever missed are three days; one because I had a very high fever, the other because I had turned for the first time, and the last because I faked being ill.

After this time though, I'm never going to miss this much in a row again. There's nothing like being stuck between four walls. Believe me.

The first day, after Sadie left, I was holed up in my bathroom. I had a panic attack for the first time in my life. My body was racked with helpless and tearless sobs. I had a gripping fear surrounding my heart and eating my intestines away. I refused to even unlock my bedroom door. My family took it as me being cranky about my punishment and moody with "hormonal imbalance". Seriously, I heard them say that.

The second day is the only day I actually cried, and it was cathartic in a way. Although I still felt like my world just turned upside down, I was much calmer, at least on the outside. I was able to be around my family without having another panic attack. That was when my brain started to work again, and the begging for the phone and internet started.

On the third day, I was constructing plans of action for when I face Sadie or any other SMP members who she might have told. By the fourth and final day, I was growing restless and needed to go back to school.

I'm relieved when Friday finally comes. After a quick trip to the bathroom to make sure I'm all clear, I get ready faster than I have ever had before. I'm the first one out the door when my brothers and I leave.

"Whoa, Mickey, what's the rush?" Nathan asks, noticing my hasty behavior.

"I need to see Sadie," I tell him and jump in the backseat.

When I'm inside, I start to nervously bite my nails. It takes me a moment to realize I'm all alone in the car. Even Connor is still out. I look out the window and find them all standing there with their jaws hanging open.

"What?" I ask them, confused.

"You're... you..." Connor stutters.

"Are you feeling alright, Michael?" Mason asks worriedly.

I stare at them weirdly. Why are they acting like that? Do they know? "Yeah, why?"

"Because the front seat is right there," Nathan points out, and it comes out like a question.