8. Socks

"I told you-"

"Don't you dare say I told you so."

Annie sighed. "Fine. But I did."

"Shut up."

I'd tried to fight against it, but Annie was ridiculously stubborn when she really wanted something. And apparently, being at my house to watch me get ready for my date with Ben was on the list of things-she-wouldn't-stop-nagging-about-until-she-got-her-way.

She'd gotten her way.

I really hadn't wanted Annie to come over, not because she wouldn't be helpful but for the simple reason that this was already going to be weird enough without her help. I knew that, instead of calming my nerves, she'd make me more anxious – even if she was only trying to help me out. She seemed to be a lot more excited about this date than I was, which I found extremely strange. When I'd been able to relax enough to call her, she acted as though we'd just announced we were engaged.

At least with her help, I'll look presentable.  

I had been relaxing on my bed, in sweatpants and an old T-shirt, reading another book, when Annie had barged in and almost had a panic attack when she noticed I hadn't started getting ready. Even though I still had two hours until Ben had told me he'd pick me up.

Because of Annie's persistence, I had gotten ready in a hurry. I only had to finish touching up my makeup, even though I had over half an hour until I technically had to be ready. Although I had taken much longer to get ready than I had originally planned, I had to admit that I was pleased with the result. The clothes hadn't been much of a problem, but Annie had helped me arrange my hair – which looked like a brown spider web after spending the day lying down reading books – into something presentable.

I was all set, and now had half an hour left for fussing and worrying.

After I'd agreed to go out with Ben – something I hadn't completely come to terms with – we'd kept up a steady stream of texts and phone calls. I'd tried to get him to tell me where he was planning to take me countless times, but he wouldn't budge. He said he wanted it to be a surprise, and that if he told me it would be completely ruined. After I'd complained to him, the only hint he'd given me was to dress casual.

I had decided on wearing jeans, but compensated with a more dressy shirt – it was dark green and V-necked. Annie had spent the past hour trying to get me to wear heels, but I declined, opting for nice black flats instead. As much as I loved wearing heels, I knew my feet would hurt in a while and I'd regret wearing them. Besides, if he'd told me to dress casual, heels were probably a bad idea.

"Here, take this." Annie was holding out a red tube, and I took it.

"Cherry chap stick? Why?"

She rolled her eyes. "I know this is your first actual date and all–" I blushed. "But you'd think you've read enough stupid romances to know. For when you kiss."

I was honestly surprised my cheeks hadn't burst into flames. "Annie."

"What? It's true. I mean, you want to kiss him, right?"

"Well – I mean – I hadn't even –"

"You totally do!"

"I hate you."

"Don't even try, you love me. Now grab this and go downstairs. Ben's supposed to get here soon."

***

I opened the door to a smiling Ben. He was holding a bouquet of colorful flowers, which made my cheeks feel as though they were catching fire.

"Is it weird that I'm surprised Annie isn't out here waiting to see you off?"