one

I. a long way from home

 a long way from home

━━━━━━━━

Valerie Claremont's grandmother always used to tell her, when you die the universe erases you.

She'd like to believe that if you left a big enough mark, that it wouldn't matter. That in one shape or form, you'd always be there.

That you could live on through your friends or family, and all the memories you made.

And that even when people started to forget you. As the sound of your voice faded, or the curves of your face or your laugh. That you'd still always be there. That the waves of the ocean would still remember your body submerging and gliding through it. Or the salty wind would still remember blowing through your hair. The inky sun-setting skies would still remember your amazed gaze that once captured it. And then capture you back.

The universe could never truly forget something like that.

But when Valerie Claremont stood one moment away from death, she realized two things. That none of that nonsense made death any less scary. And that no matter how hard you tried, if the universe let you go, there was no holding on.

Because why would the universe want to remember you? When it was so cruel that someone who had once claimed to care about you, would be the same one willing to take your life?

She had always been quite trusting. And she really did believe in trusting the universe.

But she was eighteen, and what kind of a universe would try and take someone's life so soon, so early?

Certainly not one that would care enough to remember her. And certainly not one she wanted to trust.

The Claremont's were what the island liked to call new money.

Originally from 'The Cut', William Claremont dreamed of all the world had to offer outside of it.

He raised his children to be kind and thankful for the The Southside, and all it had to offer, but he was also a liar. And every night when he wen't to sleep, he'd dream of a world that he and his wife didn't have to work constantly just to barely make it by.

When his children Dorian and Valerie were twelve and thirteen, his business, Claremont Corporation took off wildly, and within that same year they moved to Figure Eight Island. Of course those who already inhabited it, the richest and snobbiest of the bunch didn't welcome the Claremont's with open arms.

But William wanted to give his children everything he had dreamed of when he was young and naive like them.

And so, as simple as that, they had it all.

The country club memberships, the designer clothes, the holiday homes, the education at the kook academy, whatever they wanted.

But a reputation was the one thing he could not give them.