thirteen

XIII. the turning point

 the turning point

━━━━━━━━

They arrived in Freeport by night fall.

At six twenty-one pm, the sun had begun to set. As they sped down the waters, golden hour tinted dead weeds and fence posts along the coast a rosy orange. The once cloudless blue had fused into an inky black, the dusky orange melding with the night.

The darkness was incomplete. The deep blue was not alone, but specked with thousands of pinpricks of cold light. Splatters of silver could be seen all around. And when she glanced back towards the interior of the cabin, her eyes had met Rafe. She could see every shadow of his face, every feature etched across it.

They had sailed around the outskirts for a while, before finding a low security shoreline that was not flooded with tourists, they docked the boat without drawing attention to themselves. Only then did they reconcile in the cabin, discussing their plans that would follow.

It was clear that they could not survive on the watercraft for long, especially without rations. They'd gone through what Wheezie had packed quicker than anticipated and it had left them with no choice but to venture out.

The night had crept upon slowly, and it was in their best interest to not waste the fleeting day, and find somewhere they could exchange the gold for real money.

The air had chilled with each growing hour, and soon she longed for the old tee and sweat pants that had once provided her with a semblance of warmth, opposed to the skimpy shorts and cropped tank, which were more appropriate for the North Carolina summer heat. She soon had removed three gold bars from Rafes bag, placing them on the leather cushions. Spreading the ingots before the three of them, she sat on the floor.

"That'll be enough?" His gaze flickered to her with uncertainty.

She nodded, crossing her legs, the plush carpet of the cabin floor tickled her exposed legs. "It'll be good enough. And not too much to draw any attention towards us. The last thing we need is for somebody to start asking questions."

He still hadn't seemed fully convinced. But rising from his seat along the floor, besides Valerie, he collected the gold off the sofa. "I'll go. You stay here, watch Wheezie."

She jumped up immediately, steadying herself while narrowing her eyes. The possibilities of all that could occur in that span of time left an uneasy feeling in her stomach. Though she was sure he wouldn't leave Wheezie as collateral, she still wasn't sure she'd grown to trust him enough to go off on his own.

"Me?" She scoffed lightly to herself. "Stay here like I'm some – some maternal figure? Someone here just to babysit? Right." She rounded the leather seat with rapid pace, blocking the entryway of the cabin. Crossing her arms she planted her feet firmly in place, she would not allow him through. "She's your sister. If you want someone to stay back and watch her, why not you?"