Part 2

(Tyler's PØV)

Apparently I'm in a band called Twenty One Pilots. When I asked Josh, who's the only other person in the band, where the name came from, he told me it was from a play by Arthur Miller. The meaning behind the name is deep. I came up with it, but I don't remember. The band has been around since 2009.

I play the piano, bass, ukulele, tambourine, and accordion. Josh plays the drums. Apparently I can rap too. I also have a lot of tattoos. I've been all over the world.

I've saved lives. The music I've written, the music I can't remember, has saved a million people's lives. How could I forget that?

I didn't forget everything. The doctor asked me who the first US president was. I said George Washington, and I was right. I can identify most objects within a few seconds of thinking. After examining me for a while, the doctor leaves me alone with Josh and Jenna. I feel really guilty. They keep looking at me with these pitiful expressions. It's a mixture of pain, pity, confusion, surprise, and probably more things.

I'm sitting up and looking at my tattoos. I have a bunch of bands around my left arm, along with four boxes that form something that looks like a cross. On my other arm, I have a bunch of symbols and some Roman numerals. I have two on my chest. There's also one on my thigh. It's Josh's name. He tells me he gave it to me onstage and shows me my name tattooed on him, but closer to his knee. I start asking a bunch of questions about myself, hoping something will make me remember. Nothing does, but I learn that I'm a Christian. So are Josh and Jenna. They tell me my faith comes out a lot in the songs I write, so I ask to hear some of them. Jenna pulls up something called Tear in My Heart on her phone. It starts with some unintelligible words, but then launches into music. I hear something like my voice start to sing.

"Here's the music video if you want to see." Jenna hands me her phone, and I see two hands covered in black playing the piano. I realize it's me when I recognize the tattoos. I also have black on my neck. I wonder why. I see Josh playing the drums, and Jenna walking down an alley. She starts beating me up, then we kiss at the end. I wonder if I wrote the song for her. It makes me want to cry. She gets another music video to show me. Stressed Out. It starts with me riding a big tricycle. I have black on my hands and neck in this one too. Do I always do that? A deep voice starts singing near the end, and my eyes turn red. It's kind of creepy.

I'm shown a song called Heathens next. I can't tell if I have the black on my hands, but it's on my neck at least when I'm wearing a yellow jacket.

They're good songs, and it sounds sort of like my voice. I still can't remember. Jenna picks another song, telling me it's an older one named Implicit Demand for Proof. It starts of with a lot of piano, then turns more synthetic-sounding before I start singing. It definitely has a different feel to it, so when it's done, I ask what genre of music our band is.

"It's not really a specific genre. It's a little of everything," Josh says.

"Oh. Is that allowed?" Usually music is divided into genres. How can we just have all of them?

Josh shrugs. "People like it."

I keep listening to song after song after song. I rap, hit high notes, scream, whisper, and sing. There's a wide variety of styles, some even in the same song. They're all good though. I like them all.

I just don't remember anything. None of them are familiar. Nothing is familiar.

*******

Thanks for reading again. :)