Part 4

(Tyler's PØV)

Both Jenna and Josh are exhausted because they stayed all night with me in the hospital. They leave to go sleep, leaving me alone with a doctor and a piano. I play random notes, trying to find ones that sound familiar. Only Goner sounds familiar. I play it over and over and over, hoping something will happen. Then I play Tear in My Heart. I don't want to ever forget what little I have of them now. Eventually the nurse takes me back to my room. I see a phone on the table by the bed. I assume it's mine, and press the button on the side. It comes to life, displaying ten numbers.

I can't even remember my own passcode. I press my finger against the button at the bottom. It unlocks for me. My phone remembers me.

I move the screens back and forth, looking for anything to remind me of something. It's like I'm looking at a picture with my eyes closed, but still expecting to be able to see the picture. But I can't open my eyes.

I accidentally open a voice recording app. There are a bunch of recordings that are only a few seconds long. I tap the first one. I hear my own voice humming a melody of some sort. After five seconds, the recording ends. I tap the next one. This one is longer. My voice starts to hum a different melody, but I hear Josh's voice.

"What are you doing?"

"Shhh, Josh. I'm recording."

"Why?"

"Just shhh." I hum a little bit, then the recording stops.

The next one has me singing the words "help me."

I go through about fifteen of them before realizing how many there actually are. I exit the app, and look around the home screen.

I recognize Twitter and open it. I have a whole bunch of tweets from people I assume are fans. The "Clique." The ones I see are all asking how I am. I exit Twitter.

I set the phone back down and stare at my tattoos. Josh said they all mean something to me. I didn't want to ask him what they meant though. I don't even know if he knows. Bands around my arm, random symbols on my arms and chest. I want the markings on my skin to mean something to me again.

That sounds familiar.

I try to focus on the thought, but it just evades me.

Eventually I fall asleep, despite the fact that I've only been awake for a few hours.

*******

I'm sorry I don't know anything about Twitter.