Chapter Twenty-Six

Sorry it took a while to update. Tripped over climbing down a mountain and injured my hand, and it is not very easy typing with only one hand! :P

Enjoy!
Xx Divine Romance
~~~~~

Rose shrank back as far as she could, terrified of Eliad. William turned his head around slowly to face the figure behind him. Eliad had a sword casually pointed at William's throat and wore the most dangerously calm expression. Where had Eliad come from? How had they not heard him approaching?

"A thief of the night, stealing what is not yours to take," Eliad commented, staring at William with a hard expression. Rose's breath quickened and she felt chills all over her.

William slowly held his hands up in surrender.

"Tell me who you are, quickly, before I kill you," Eliad demanded. William held his chin up high, defiantly, without fear.

"I am Sir William, a knight of the King and an enemy to rebellious curs who call themselves brave - such as yourself," William responded. Eliad sneered and shoved his sword closer, until the tip of the weapon was pricking William's throat.

"Impertinent fool, do not test me," he warned. "I would ask who sent you here but I do not doubt it was that ridiculous boy the kingdom calls 'Prince'. I should have him hunted down this moment."

"No!" Rose cried out, straining against the ropes holding her to the tree. Eliad snapped his gaze to her briefly. "No! You cannot," Rose cried desperately. Her heart raced, all fear temporarily forgotten.

"Be quiet, girl! I did not permi-"

"Let Tristan go! You cannot chase him down, n-" Eliad's hard slap brought Rose's words to a halt. She gasped against the force of it. William's eyes widened and he turned to glare at Eliad.

"GUARDS," Eliad roared, his voice thundering through the clearing. The men sleeping jerked awake suddenly. Their faces paled as they realised Eliad had caught them sleeping. They hurried to stand to their feet.

"Sir," most of them mumbled, shamefaced. Eliad rolled his eyes and looked back to William.

"This shall send a lovely message to that foolish Prince. Do not try to outsmart me, it will only end in death," Eliad cackled. "The dead body of a knight should be enough to deter him; do not you think? Any final words, Sir Knight?" He asked sarcastically. People were emerging from their tents, the noise from the outside waking them. Many looked confused and concerned, while some held satisfied expressions. Did they truly hate the King and his servants so much that they would be pleased by the death of a knight?

William exchanged a sorrowful gaze with Rose. "Do not feel guilt for my passing, Rose. It is an honour to die for the lady of the Prince's heart," William murmured.

"No! Please, no!" Rose cried, as Eliad prepared to strike. "Eliad! Don't!"

Eliad looked at her for a moment. "What did you say, Rose? Make it long and torturous?"

"Eliad, please! I am begging you," she cried, as tears began falling down her cheeks. Never had she felt so sick and desperate as she did at that moment. "Please do not do this, do not spill his blood."

"He would have died anyway, Rose," Eliad snorted. "Whether here or on the battlefield - what does it matter?"

"Please! Spare him," she begged, pulling against her ropes until her skin ached from the force.

Eliad paused, as if considering her words. Rose was amazed that he would actually listen to her. "Almost you tempt me, but I think I shall not be swayed by you," he said.