Chapter.85.Fedoras.Pictures&&Lilies.<3

Lucas' Point of View

"YOU SON OF A BITCH!" I roar, tackling Charlie to the ground. My fist is in the air and connects to his jaw in one fluid motion. My original intention was to beat the living shit out of him! Who the hell does he think he is?! Asking Riley out all the time! But, alas my plan was foiled by a former defensive tackle. Zay and I are sliding across the marble floor, his arms struggling to pull mine behind my back.

"WHAT THE HELL!?"

Charlie is situating his jaw, while I'm trying to get up on my own two feet with no hands. It takes a few moments going from lying down to standing, if you haven't already tried, it's pretty difficult. "Calm down, both of you!" Zay snaps, tightening his hold on my hands because I'm thrashing around and glaring heavily at Charlie. "If someone would like to calmly explain why the hell I was pulled out of my tutoring session with a girl I plan to –

"Zay!"

He flinches slightly before chuckling and waving it off, "Just tell me what the hell is going on."

Deciding that now is the appropriate time to get answers, I rip my wrists out of his hold and fixate my focus on my cousin. He's going to play dumb, but I can tell when a man has a guilty conscious. "Were you ever going to tell me?" I croak out. My anger subsiding for a few moments, sheer hurt that my cousin would do that is coming to light. "I thought we were good. Not great, but good enough."

"Luke –

"Don't play dumb with my boy Charlie." Zay interrupts with his heavy country accent before crossing his arms. His head tilts to the side, as if he already knows where this conversation is going. "He's like a damn lie detector."

On cue, Charlie's shoulders slump and his head drops. "I can't apologize." If I heard that right, I'm going to have to tip Gloria heavily for the blood she'll have to clean off the marble floors. "An apology means two things, first, it could have been an accident and you didn't know what you were doing. I knew." He lifts his focus off the ground and onto me, "I knew that I was asking her out when you still loved her. Secondly, I would have to regret it, and I don't."

"You are a real piece of shit!" I hiss and watch the outward flinch, "How could you not regret it?! We've haven't gotten a long for years but finally, when we are starting to get on good terms you want to ruin that by asking out the woman I love?" Please tell me I'm not overreacting. "I just – did you honestly think that this would be your big chance?" I humorlessly chuckle, "no let's be serious. Did you think that whenever this whole thing blew over that I wouldn't be back for her? Or were you in on the random drop-by's of Missy and a few others? WERE YOU?!" I take a step forward, but end up taking two back to try and calm myself. "Never in a million damn years would I give up Riley for anyone!"

"Just anything, right?"

I vaguely hear an 'oh shit' from Zay before I sprint towards him. "THIS WASN'T MY CHOICE!" I feel the bones of his orbital socket bang against my knuckles. "I WOULD GIVE UP EVERYTHING FOR HER!" And again. The third time I am the one who prevents my fists from flying, my best friend is watching utterly amused, he knows Charlie deserves this. Gripping the collar of his shirt, I bring him to my level. "You know nothing! Riley wants me to have everything, she wants me to have my father's company, go to college and her but that isn't possible! LOOK AT ME!" He lifts his gaze, regret flashing in them slightly, but I don't care, I'm on a damn roll. "I would be out on the streets, broke and penny less in a heartbeat if that meant having her right now." I'm aware we are incredibly dependent on one another, which isn't good for a relationship, and I think this time apart will help with that. "But that isn't an option for me, because for me, my girl is waiting patiently. She's waiting so that one day I can have it all! I'll have my father's legacy, the girl I love and a piece of my mother all at the same time." I drop the hold I have on him and fall to the side of his frame now that I'm somewhat calm. "Riley reminds me of my mom, mannerisms and such, it helps that she knew her but unless sweet cheeks asked me to, I couldn't just give up this company. I wouldn't think twice about leaving it behind if Riley requested that of me, but that won't ever happen because she understands what it means to me. My dad left it for me. You won't ever understand, not until you've lived through what I have and felt what I have. You'll never understand how much I miss my mom's voice, because you can call Charlotte on the phone if ever necessary. You'll never understand how much I miss the pride shining in my father's eyes whenever I would win a game or start my first day running his company, because on your first day of work, Brett will there."