Chapter VII- Slow Burn

Continuation of chapter six

She placed her hands on her stomach in anticipation. The soft thud of his shoes told her he was coming closer to her. A warm touch grazed her cheek and down her neck. The warmth of his skin against her electrified every nerve sending waves of pure energy through her. His fingers traced the lines of her jaw, down to her chin and across her lower lip. Her eyes fluttered open to see the face of Draco Malfoy softly smiling down on her. Shock and confusion clouded her face and she pulled away immediately.

"You're joking!" she blurted, "You were the one that was sending me those messages?"

"They were sincere, I assure you", Draco responded looking rather hurt.

"I should have known better!", she cried, "This is just another one of your cruel jokes! Isn't that right, Malfoy?"

Hermione stepped forward to strike him. In one fluid motion, Draco grabbed a hold of her wrist and pulled her in close. His grip was firm but not so to cause her discomfort in any sort of way. She struggled valiantly but he pulled her even closer as to force her head up.

"Release me", she breathed.

Her eyes were forced to look up into his silvery eyes. There was a look of pleading cast in them buried under years of suffering and torment. This look caused her to stop attempting to break free and get lost somewhere deep in his eyes. The feeling overcame her and for a moment she forgot the wretched past between them. His smooth voice found her again.

"I know that was me in the Amortentia. You can deny it as much as you like but there is no hiding it. I was there when you when you caught the scent off of the paper butterfly I sent you and I made the connection. There is something that binds me to you. Fighting it will only cause more pain than I am willing to endure."

He was right. If it had not been the connection in the potion she would have never considered this a possibility. She experienced a fleeting moment of disappointment and hatred in herself. Throughout their school years together he had not accomplished much more than cause her and her friends anguish and frustration. How could she even begin to feel drawn to someone that showed her no affection in the past? And yet, there was a strong pull towards him that was too strong to ignore. He released one of her wrists and brushed her hair away from her face. His fingers glided and pulled through her soft tresses. Could she really deny him?

Hermione studied the lines and angles of his face. In the past her judgement had been clouded in believing that he was this loathsome, wretched person that she never took the time to appreciate how handsome he really was. His blonde hair complemented the hue of his skin bringing full focus into the deep silver shade of his eyes. He was considerably taller than her, slender with notes of toned definition. With her free hand, she slipped her fingers under the lapel of his jacket and felt his heart. His heart beat at a rapid, steady pace. Her fingers slipped from beneath his lapel and up to his jaw. Any idea that she may have had of him was that his flesh would be cold and uninviting. It was quite the opposite. Eyeing him curiously, she traced her fingers across his cheek and laid her hand to rest against his neck.

-----------------------------------------------------

Draco

Hermione's touch ignited every nerve in his being. Silently, he pleaded for her not to turn him away. The sight of her delicate, feminine figure gave way for him to feel intense sensations of desire and longing. He stared intently into her face watching her explore his features. The light of the fire danced across her giving her the natural glow he so loved to adore. He was unsure as to how he would make his next move or to wait patiently until she gave him some sort of sign.