Chapter XXIV- Halloween

Hermione

Professor Flitwick buzzed about merrily between the piles of sizable pumpkins capping each of the long house tables. His wand fluttered over the surface of each creating an amusing or haunted expression. Hermione smiled as she leaned her cheek against her palm watching him carve away. Tomorrow evening would be the Halloween party the school was hosting. Draco asked her to accompany him but gave no details on how they might discreetly come together. Bats bobbed between the rolling storm clouds above in the bewitched night sky. 

"Colovaria."

The quill laying atop Hermione's textbook changed from a stark white to a blushed pink. She idly cast spells to the various objects around her. Classes were to be cut short tomorrow. Not much homework had been assigned that week and she had already read through Hogwarts: A History for the hundredth time. Her mind then wandered to the party.

Am I supposed to wear a costume? 

Only a dozen students occupied the Great Hall along with Professor Flitwick while they studied. Hermione had been so preoccupied daydreaming that she did not notice fawn and amber owls land with a large parcel to her right. The parcel was rectangular similar to the size of a dress box wrapped in brown paper and twine. Attached to the top of the box was an envelope addressed with her name. Hermione fed the two owls a few pieces of biscuits she carried on her person. Both owls spread their full wingspan and took flight as she opened the envelope.

I think I found the solution to our little problem.

Love, D. 

Hurriedly, Hermione gathered her things and rushed to her dormitory. Dropping her schoolbag, she slid onto her bed with the parcel before her. After ripping open the paper and removing the lid, she found lace black fabric folded neatly inside. 

"It's a dress!" she squealed.

The dress was crafted beautifully cutting short at mid-thigh. Hemming of the neckline drew straight across the chest and shoulders complete with three-quartered lace sleeves. A sort of scattered sequin had been weaved into the lace causing it to shimmer when it caught the light. Just underneath the dress was a matching lace mask covering the surrounding eye area as well as the top of the cheeks and lower forehead. Curves had been made into the mask to fit the natural features of the face perfectly. Hermione held the dress against her torso while examining herself in the mirror. She had to admit, Draco had excellent taste. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Late into the next day, all the girls divulged excitedly about their dress plans and dates for the night's party. The last class had recently been dismissed and the student body littered the corridors. Hermione just turned the corner from Ancient Runes when she felt a hand touch her shoulder.

"Hey, Hermione."

"Hey Ron."

"So, um, how was class?"

"Good, the usual. Where are you coming from?"

"I just came from the Great Hall for my study period. I..I wanted to talk to you about how things were left. I feel like we haven't talked much since I came back. Something is different."

Hermione's heart seized in her chest. She couldn't help but feel guilty for how distant she kept from him. Truth be told, she missed her friend dearly but didn't know how to bypass their awkwardness. She hated lying to him and thought it best to avoid the touchy subject matters altogether.

"Ron, I'm sorry that I haven't been around much. You know, after last year, I feel like I have missed so much and I am falling behind. You know how important this is to me."