CHAPTER 18- Alton Bennett

Draco

Firelight warmed the darkened archways supporting the lengthened corridor. Dispersed chatter drifted from the Great Hall dissipating one by one into the soft flickers of flame. The frigid stone wall Draco leaned against drained him of his body heat. Far on the end of the passage capped a frost-bitten window shrouded in the darkness of fall's creeping night. Draco spun his wand betwixt his fingers as his thoughts skipped between Hermione and the Weasleys.

"Bollocks", he cursed, "Why did he have to come back?"

"I shall have you put in detention if you dare stay a minute past curfew."

The growling hatred jabbing from his left belonged to none other than Argus Filch. Greasy silver hair draped over his shoulders covered by his tattered long coat. Wrapped in his arms he stroked the head of his most beloved yellow-eyed cat, Mrs. Norris. The pair of them made for a most wretched duo that enjoyed wreaking torture and discipline amongst the students.

"Curfew isn't for another half hour, Filch. Run along", Draco smirked in retort.

Twisted wrinkles around his nose and eyes gave for a distasteful and seething expression.

"Mind you if it were back in my day I would have you hanging by your toes in the deepest dungeon for detention! You worthless brats have made the world soft!"

Both individuals glared at one another until Filch broke the silence.

"Unfortunately, I am not here to issue detention. I am to tell you that the Headmistress McGonagall wishes to see you in her office. Immediately."

"Squib", Draco muttered as Filch started to leave.

"What did you say boy?!", Filch hissed.

"Nothing", he snarled through grit teeth.

One last spat in Draco's direction and Filch turned on his heel with Mrs. Norris purring contently in his grasp. Butterflies rolled in his stomach as he feared of why he may be summoned. No one crossed his path as he hastened to the Headmaster's tower. Steadfast in the doorway was the stone gargoyle protecting the entrance.

"Damn", he cursed. Filch hadn't told him the current password to get past the gargoyle.

Just then, Professor McGonagall swept past him as she held her hands up in front of the statue.

"Brighton Rock."

The gargoyle sprung to life and out of the spiral staircase that ascended upward.

"Come, Mr. Malfoy. We haven't much time."

Even with his wide gait and stature, Draco had difficultly keeping with the tails of the professor's cloak as she hurried up the steps. Immediately after bursting through her office doors the first thing Draco took notice of Professor Dumbledore resting peacefully within his frame. He could not help but avert his eyes and hope intensely that he would not wake.

"Please, sit", Professor McGonagall gestured to one of her plush armchairs perched before her desk.

Just as a busy honey bee buzzes about, the headmistress whirled around her office plucking various items out of cupboards and chests. On the desk in front of him she placed a neatly folded pile of what seemed to be muggle clothing. He studied the pile but dare not touch the articles looking upon them with clouded confusion.

"Professor", he hesitated, "May I ask, what is all of this?"

McGonagall took her seat opposite of him and peered at him over her spectacles.

"Just as I had mentioned the last time we spoke, I have been kept in contact with the healers in charge of your mother's well-being. She has regained consciousness for the first time in many weeks and has requested to be taken back to the Malfoy Manor. A few of personally hired healers will be there to assist in her recovery I am told. She is still not quite herself but being in the time frame we are I have arranged for you to travel back home to visit your mother. Given the circumstances I must ask that you agree to take precautions I have set for you in order to make the journey. You see before you some clothing I am going to ask you to wear to take on the identity of Alton Bennett."