| 3 |

Black.

Everything was pure black.

It was incomprehensible, this darkness; and yet I had no clue as to why.

I stood alone, in a dark abyss where not even a hint of light leaked through to show some type of escape. There was no hidden trace of where I could be or why, but the cold bearing that riddled my exhaustive body caused me to become self cautious. Thinking there was no hope of finding where I was and why, I blindly strive to withdrawal from my frozen position.

That's when I heard it.

It started off as a whisper of a thought, forcing me to think that it was just a part of my imagination. But then it grew. Louder and louder, more apparent until it morphed into a familiar, gruffly deep voice. One that was way too familiar to simply forget....

"Nia?"

Almost instantly, my chestnut eyes widen like saucers against my sockets as my legs halted myself from venturing off. Slowly, my ogling orbs begin to sting with the unbearable start of tears as my plump lips nearly tremble. That voice...it couldn't be...could it?

"D-dad?" My voice troubles to squeak out, my body snapping around to be met with the confirmation of my guess.

It was like I was enduring an out of body experience. There, just approximately 10 feet in front of my position, stood my beloved father who strangely happened to regain the same image he held when I was a child. The impressive puff of a kinky dark afro graced his head, along with his infamous sideburns that he was notorious for. Thick and long lashes accentuated those same umber orbs that were staring back into mine from afar; and they miraculously contained that same comforting twinkle that seemed to make me feel like everything was going to be alright.

Dad's lean physique gave way to memories of my younger days with him before his cancer, and how Mother and I used to call him "Superman" due to his playful strength. Every single detail about him was so realistic, from the two small dimples on his round cheeks to even his immaculate love for the 70's that shined through his spontaneous fashion sense. Yet, there was just one single aspect about him that was completely off.

There was an inexplicable white and soft euphoric glow that surrounded his entire being, which made his roasted caramel skin virtually golden; almost as if he was some angel sent from above.

This sight alone was enough to make me cry.

"Nia?" His youthful voice rang out once again and caressed my ears lovingly, his perfectly aligned teeth being revealed as a cheerful smile, whilst his ample lips parted. "Is that my baby girl?"

A shuddering laugh tumbled from the very pit of my chest as it finally registered that my own father was standing right in front of me. Whether this was real or not, no longer mattered to me. All I knew was that he was here, in this moment, in this time, and appeared as real as ever. Nodding my head furiously at his question, my vision blurs over by joyful tears as my barren feet led me to him in a rush.

"Daddy!" Yelping like the little girl I once was many years ago, I eventually find myself leaping into his solid arms where we held on to one another with a feeling of utmost endearment; but, harboring a mixture of joyfully sad emotions as well. He catches me like it's nothing, a booming chuckle eliciting from him as he lifts me off the ground in his compassionate hold for the longest, before gently setting me down on the unknown floor. God, I miss these type of hugs from him.