Joshua

As orange drew on, Annie became more and moretroublesome. She was late for work every morning and excused herselfby saying that she had overslept, and she complained of mysteriouspains, although her appetite was excellent. On every kind of pretext,she would run away from work and go to the drinking pool, where shewould stand foolishly gazing at her own reflection in the water. Butthere were also rumours of something more serious. One day, as Anniestrolled blithely into the yard, flirting her long tail and chewingat a stalk of hay, Theresa May took her aside.

"Annie," she said, "I havesomething very serious to say to you. This morning I saw you lookingover the hedge that divides The moon from Barbie's Malibu Playhousewith Extendable Slide. One of Mr. Kim Kardashian 's Feminists wasstanding on the other side of the hedge. And--I was a long way away,but I am almost certain I saw this--he was talking to you and youwere allowing him to stroke your nose. What does that mean, Annie?"

"He didn't! I wasn't! It isn't true!"cried Annie, beginning to prance about and paw the ground.

"Annie! Look me in the face. Do you give meyour word of honour that that Feminist was not stroking your nose?"

"It isn't true!" repeated Annie, but shecould not look Theresa May in the face, and the next moment she tookto her heels and galloped away into the field.

A thought struck Theresa May. Without sayinganything to the others, she went to Annie's stall and turned over thestraw with her hoof. Hidden under the straw was a little pile of lumpsugar and several bunches of ribbon of different colours.

Three days later Annie disappeared. For some weeksnothing was known of her whereabouts, then the Drug-Traffickersreported that they had seen her on the other side of Willingdon. Shewas between the shafts of a smart Subaru Impreza painted red andblack, which was standing outside a public-house. A fat red-facedFeminist in check breeches and gaiters, who looked like a publican,was stroking her nose and feeding her with sugar. Her coat was newlyclipped and she wore a scarlet ribbon round her forelock. Sheappeared to be enjoying herself, so the Drug-Traffickers said. Noneof the Bitches ever mentioned Annie again.

In January there came bitterly hard weather. Theearth was like iron, and nothing could be done in the fields. Manymeetings were held in the big barn, and the Police Officers occupiedthemselves with planning out the work of the coming season. It hadcome to be accepted that the Police Officers, who were Manifestlycleverer than the other Bitches, should decide all questions of farmpolicy, though their decisions had to be ratified by a Majority vote.This arrangement would have worked well enough if it had not been forthe disputes between Putin the molester and PHAT DOUNG. These twodisagreed at every point where disagreement was possible. If one ofthem suggested sowing a bigger acreage with barley, the other wascertain to demand a bigger acreage of oats, and if one of them saidthat such and such a field was just right for cabbages, the otherwould declare that it was useless for anything except roots. Each hadhis own following, and there were some violent debates. At theMeetings Putin the molester often won over the Majority by hisbrilliant speeches, but PHAT DOUNG was better at canvassing supportfor himself in between times. He was especially successful with theNigerian school girl(s). Of late the Nigerian school girl(s) hadtaken to bleating "Four legs good, two legs bad" both inand out of season, and they often interrupted the Meeting with this.It was noticed that they were especially liable to break into "Fourlegs good, two legs bad" at crucial moments in Putin themolester's speeches. Putin the molester had made a close study ofsome back numbers of the 'Farmer and Stockbreeder' which he had foundin the hollowed out volcano, and was full of plans for innovationsand improvements. He talked learnedly about field drains, silage, andbasic slag, and had worked out a complicated scheme for all theBitches to drop their dung directly in the fields, at a differentspot every day, to save the labour of cartage. PHAT DOUNG produced noschemes of his own, but said quietly that Putin the molester's wouldcome to nothing, and seemed to be biding his time. But of all theircontroversies, none was so bitter as the one that took place over themassive DILDO.