Thousand-Year Cat

Thousand-Year Cat by tewaters

Recommended and reviewed by CG.

Throughout her long life, the "thousand year cat" has lived many places - "the forest, brimming with life; in the fields by the river under the stars, where farmers toiled by day and mice danced by night; in the grand opulent houses of the rich; in the bright noisy heart of the capital." However, to the well traveled calico cat, no place could ever match up to her current residence: an apartment in the Old Quarter of the city where lived a man she found "most peculiar". The cat closely observes her owner and all his habits and interests. He likes his coffee black, he doesn't smoke, he smells of magic, aftershave and women. What she doesn't know is what he dreams of and what he desires. Questions such as these, lays heavy on her heart. 

"Thousand-Year Cat" is a delightful piece about the love between a hopeful cat and her human owner. Filled with magic, princesses, swords, and talking cats and foxes, the story has the tone of a fairytale that is reminiscent of the down-to-earth dreamy Murakamian style. The descriptive and robust, yet delicate and masterful language helps to shape this feeling. However, the writing easily steps over being just "fairytale" and merges into the literary. With tiny original gems such as, "creaky, sandpaper voice," it's easy to appreciate the play of language in the piece. And while there may not be any surprise twists and the reader can almost predict how the story will end, the journey leading up to its conclusion weaves enchantment.

Reading this fantastical tale of feline love and magic will instantly leave you in a better mood and bring a smile to your face. What a pleasure to read, especially on a quiet, lazy Sunday afternoon with a warm cup of tea.