Launderama

"Launderama" by TobyLitt

A thoughtful, multi-layered, melancholic and not-so-typical ghost story.

Recommended and reviewed by M.Y.

"I have always loved laundrettes."

So begins this beautifully written, tightly executed, classic short story. The strange setup is that this launderette-loving writer alienates himself from his favourite place to hang out by buying his own washer-dryer for his home. Then he sits in his study all day, watching the comings and goings of his former haunt from across the road, until one day, he sees a woman take off all her clothes and climb into a washing machine. This and other wonderful hints of Kafka recur throughout.

I loved how the narrator's descriptions of places and events seemed to fight against his putative meanings and intentions. Like he is saying one thing, but his modifiers are implying another. This tension creates an underlying feeling of dread and an apparently desperate attempt to cover it up with cheer. He loves the launderettes "however dingy they might be." He loves the smell of the "cheapo brand" of washing powder, the "plasticy" smell of "Bold" soap. Finally, he loves the machines themselves: "squat, slightly sullen washers, in dull metallic gold or blue." We're getting mixed messages here.

The author does something crafty with the narrative by backgrounding the narrator's relationship storyline, which automatically foregrounds the ghost storyline, fueling our suspense right through to the ghostly ending. Is there screaming? Check. Yes, we've got ourselves a ghost story, but an incredibly surreal and almost melancholy one which is guaranteed to stay with you long after you finish the final paragraphs.

Highly recommended.