chapter 3

I thought walking with people I didn’t know was going to be awkward but I was wrong. They told me they are musicians, they’re in a band and that they were heading at the music shop to order some new stuff for mics. It was cool, they shared my passion for music. Well, I assumed they were also really good, while I was just a wannabe.

I never saw myself doing anything else than singing in my whole life. My dad is a musician too and we used to have a jazzy duo back in Italy. We were pretty good. I always studied music, since I was 6 or 7 I think. I began to sing when I was twelve and never stopped. Well, until now.

-So, where are you from, if I can ask?- Avi looksd at me as we walk. I can’t help it: everytime his eyes meet mine I get the feeling that he’s keeping me glued to them. That’s so embarassing!

-I’m from Italy.- I smile and they both stare at me for a couple of seconds. -…What?-

-All the way from there?- Kevin asks.

-Yeah. I’m a little far from home, but… it’s something everyone wants to experience, right?-

-You moved to stay or you're just on vacation?-

-No, I have five more weeks, than I’m going back home. I thought I was going to stay longer, but things didn’t really work out like I was expecting them to do, so…-

Avi looks at me and frowns.

–Hey, is everything ok?-

I realize I’ve lost my smile and I shrug.

–Yeah, sure!- I smile again. –I’m okay.-

We enter a small corner shop and I immediately recognize tit: I used to come here when I first moved to buy sheets and music stuff. I also recognize the guy that works here and apparentely he does too.

-Hey, guys!- He greets the boys and then he looks at me me, watching me closely. Then he lights up. –Hey Italy! It’s been a long time! How’s it going?-

-Hi Jake.- I smile and wave as Avi and Kevin look at us. –I’m okay. What about you? How’s the buisness?-

-Well, I’ve got 2/5 of Pentatonix in my shop, so I guess it’s going pretty well.- He says as he looks back at the guys. They both smile at him and start talking about their mics as I start to thinking where I’ve alread heard that name, ‘Pentatonix’. But as much as I try to remember, I really can’t. They eventually end up their conversation and say goodbye to Jake. He tells them to come back soon and then winks at me. He’s kind of a good looking guy: he’s tall, he has dreadlocks and a eyebrow piercing that I really like on men in general.

-See ya’, Juls.-

I smile waving at him and following the other two out of the shop. When we’re a few feet away Avi speaks to me.

-Are you involved with music too?-

I smile at him. –Why are you asking?-