Chapter 5

Saying I’m feeling nervous is not actually enough.

What if he’s mad at me? I knew I should’ve replied to his texts. And his calls. And Jesus Christ, why in the world I let Hilary know about this.

“One,” She snapped at me with a scolding look. “Keep frowning like that and your face will freeze that way. Two, just relax, okay? You came, he’s gonna be happy about it.”

“What if he doesn’t want to see me again? I’ve been rude not replying.”

“It’s called, ‘Being a woman.’ Never heard of it?”

“Said the Irish girl that usually burps every five minutes.”

“That’s a disease, stop it!”

I laugh at the look on her face, feeling slightly better. It doesn’t last for long though.

“Okay, VIP may come in.” Says a security guy. Now this is going to be extremely weird.

“Yaaaaas!” I hear Hilary squeal behind me. “I can’t believe this is happening! Julie, you’ll see, they’re awesome! And nice! And…” She stops catching my glare. “Ow right, you already knew.”

Butterflies overtake my stomach as we and the other VIP people enter the room., but as soon as he intakes my presence a smile spreads across his face refletting mine.

When VIP session runs to an end, we are told we can stay in the place, taking our seats so we don’t have to re-line up, and that’s a good thing since even an hour ago, before we got in, the crowd queueing up was huge.  I wasn’t able to speak with Avi since we didn’t really have time to do that, but when Hilary and I lined up to get our merch signed –I bought their new album.- he gave me a warm, genuine, happy smile that made my knees tremble. Wow, he’s rather attractive. I mean, I already knew he was attractive since the moment I jumped in his car, but well. I tried my best to smile back at him, and Hilary is now scolding me for not having talk to him.

“Are you kidding me?!” She almost screams and I hush her. She brings down her voice a little bit, enough to keep the conversation between the two of us. “Avi freaking Kaplan has a thing for you and you didn’t even talk to him? What are you, frigid?”

“LARY!” I scold her. Damn, she’s so loud.

“Why didn’t you talk to him?”

“Do you think with all the girls in this room that were practically throwing themselves at him I would be here if i talked to him about not answering his calls?”

“Well, good point. Still, you’ve gotta do something.”

I sigh and I lower my head to watch my hand. Truth is, I don’t want to talk to him. What if i actually find out I like him? What if he likes me back? I live at the other side of the world, and plus, I’m not the kind of girl he would want to date.

Maybe I’m just working my mind up. Yeah, probably he’s not even going to try to talk to me again. Whoa, what is this? Sad? Am I sad at this thought?

“You’re frowning again!” Hilary snaps at me as I hear a buzz from my phone. Yeah right, I have to mute it. I take it out of my poket a my jaw falls slightly as I look at the screen. “Juls? Who is it?”

A small smile tugs at the corner of my lips as I open the text.

Hope you’ll enjoy the show ;)

“Is it him?” I nod quickly before pulling away from the streched neck of Hilary.

“Mind your buisness, leprecaun.”

“Stop calling me like that! I’m your bestfriend, I have a right to see.”

“It’s nothing to important, he just said to enjoy the show.” I tell her, trying to hide my excitement. What am I, twelve again? Get it together, Julie!

“Oh my God, what are you saying to him?”

“Mind. Your. Buisness.”

I’m sure I will :)) !! You’d better give a good show, my friend told me you dance a lot ;))

I glance at the high blue curtain on the stage, which is not too big. I always hated big stage at concerts ‘cause by the end of the show you’ll get an headache trying to see everything that’s going on, all the performer and stuff. It’s frustrating. Well, it’s not as small as the little pub where I would perform when I first came in LA. There wasn’t even a stage, truth to be told, just some saved up space in a corner, enough to have a keybord placed. But gosh, I loved that corner more than anything. My phone buzzes again and I snap back from my nostalgia.

If that’s what she’d call it.. :-/ Anyway, I’d like to ask you and your friend out with me and the others after the show, if that’s okay. I’d really love to spend some time with you :))

Whoa. Has he just asked me what I think he has? Gosh, this ‘date’ thing it’s so complicated in the US’. Wait, this isn’t a date. Stop it right now. I turn to face Hilary who’s taking some pics of the stage.

“I really think you should read this.”

She looks at me with and offended look. “What happened to the ‘mind your buisness’ thing?”

“You really don’t want to read?” I ask starting to pull back my phone. She takes it from my hand murmuring a ‘gimme it’ and as she reads I can see her eyes growing in excitement.

“WHAT!” She almost screams. “Are we going?! Tell me you’re going to say yes to him, or I swear I’ll beat you so bad that…”

“Easy, chill out, girl!” I lift my palm in defense. “Yeah, yeah, we’re going!”

I hear her squeal again as I tyoe my text back at Avi.

Yeah, sure :)) We’ll wait for you outside :)

I heard the music coming out louder from the speakers as ‘Crazy in Love’ by Beyoncè burst out in the venue. I look back to see the now twice as huge crowd screaming in excitement, as Hilary is telling me, better, shouting in my hear, that this is the last song before the show. I go back to my phone.

Good luck, Avi :))