Chapter Twenty Two

After the excitement of winning, it suddenly hits me that there’s less than four and a half weeks until the second round. This rather frightens me. We need to improve from our last performance, and work out something completely new, so we’re going to need to work very hard- and of course, I don‘t want to let anyone down. Nor should Jude and I get blasé about our success- we worked very hard in the run up to that competition, and we‘ll need to work harder for this next bit.

But today Jude and I are going to relax, I remind myself. I find myself getting rather excited for this, a feeling which suddenly increases as I see Jude stood there by his car, waiting for me, rubbing his jaw absentmindedly as he scuffs his feet along the floor. I try to stop myself imagining the texture of his slightly stubbly jaw and  instead make my way towards him.

He spots me and his face lights up with a gorgeous grin. ‘Ready to go, Foxy?’ he asks, cheekily.

And so we go. He drives me along down to the town, and I look at him inquisitively. ‘Where’re we off to?’

He smiles at me impishly. ‘Somewhere.’

‘Somewhere where?’

‘Somewhere over the rainbow,’ he sings loudly, bursting into song despite the fact that the window is wound down due to the warm sunny weather.

People walking past on the pavement look round, rather startled. We both burst out laughing, not stopping properly until Jude has parked the car and turned off the engine, and even then, I just look at him and we both burst into peals of laughter again.

‘You should’ve harmonised with me, Foxy,’ he rebukes me as he starts walking. I follow him, wondering where we’re going.

‘That would’ve injured those poor pedestrians hearing even more,’ I reply. ‘I can’t sing to save my life.’

‘Shame,’ Jude answers. ‘We could have explored a new genre for our dancing- musicals!’

I give him an unimpressed look, which makes him laugh.

We walk on, and then Jude looks down at his watch. ‘Okay, so we have half an hour to kill. Want to get some coffee?’

I nod, wondering what will happen after the half an hour. When I ask him, he presses a finger to my lips.

‘Stop asking and I’ll tell you.’ We’ve reached the coffee shop by now, and so we go in and order, sitting down at a table with our hot drinks.

It’s a comfy seat by a window, the sun streaming through to fall in warm beams onto Jude, illuminating his gorgeous hair. I admire the effect as subtly as I can, taking tiny sips of the coffee to make it last as long as possible: the price of coffee from shops is just ridiculous.

‘I’ve stopped asking,’ I point out to him, and he laughs.

‘You‘re a perseverant lass, Foxy,’ Jude tells me, his eyes dancing as he surveys my less than impressed expression. ‘Well, I hope you’re okay with this on our day off, but I heard that there’s dancing showcase on today, and I, uh, I kind of thought you might want to go.’

I’m very touched by this. ‘That sounds great, Jude,’ I say, truthfully. ‘But only if you’re happy to go, don’t just go on my account.’

‘Oh no,’ he protests. ‘I want to go. It might even give us a few ideas.’

I smile at him. ‘Then I’d love to go.’

We sit and sip our coffees, chatting away about school and how much revision we’re going to need to do for History, everything and anything.

Then, with another check of his watch, Jude says we should set off, so I slurp up the last bit of my coffee, and try to pay Jude back, as he insisted it would be easier if he paid for both earlier on.

He won’t take the money. ‘You can pay for us both to enter the showcase,’ he tells me, which satisfies me somewhat. It doesn’t feel right letting him pay for me, as nice as the gesture is of him. It’s sort of… well, boyfriend-ish behaviour. And we decided long ago that being boyfriend and girlfriend didn’t work for us.

Jude leads the way, walking to the place where the dancing showcase will be held, and I can’t help but be excited.

I’ve been to a couple of dance showcases before and they really are a treat. With several different couples doing all their different dances, showing off their varying styles, it never fails to inspire me.

We reach the building where the showcase will be taking place, and as we go through the door, I get out my purse, ready to pay for us both.

The man on the door lets us through, and directs us to the third room on the right. We’re just in time as we slip through the door.

‘Where do you pay?’ I whisper to Jude, who seems to be smiling about something.

‘Oh you’re adorable,’ he tells me, taking my hand to casually pull me down to the aisle to two spare seats.

‘What do you mean?’ I ask, ignoring the funny feeling inside me that arrived when he called me adorable.

He chuckles to himself.

‘Callahan!’ I insist, threateningly, and my use of this name seems to bring him up short.

‘It’s free entry, Foxy,’ he explains, with a laugh.

I raise my eyebrows at him. ‘You were winding me up?!’

He nods. ‘Guilty as charged, I’m afraid.’

‘I’ll have to pay you back for the coffee, then,’ I inform him.

‘No you won‘t, Ky,’ he tells me, leaning back in his seat and relaxing into it, looking instantly comfy. ‘Let it go, okay?’

The lights in the room dim, and the showcase begins, cutting off our conversation.

The first dance is done by a group of about ten girls, who all move in perfect unison to the calming music. The effect is rather ethereal. I glance at Jude, expecting him to be drooling at their skimpy outfits, but I’m impressed to see he’s neither salivating, nor watching them with glinty, lust filled eyes. Perhaps he’s just good at hiding it, who knows?

The second piece is done with a couple, doing a samba. Their legs move extremely fast as they dance together, the girl flaunting her hips as she sways about in, dressed in a very revealing outfit.

‘I don’t think that would do for us, would it?’ Jude whispers into my ear, his breath stirring my hair.

I look to the side, to see that he’s very close. The air seems to be tingling between us. Or am I imagining things? ‘No, I don‘t think it would. It’s a bit too showy, isn’t it?’

He nods. ‘I was thinking something more original, anyway, something a bit more emotional.’

I smile. ‘That’s exactly what I thought. Then it’ll contrast with our tango and show we’re not one trick ponies.’

‘Or that we’re not ponies at all.’

The next set of dancers come on stage, doing some sort of interpretive dance that involves a lot of rolling around all over the floor. I look at Jude, who cocks an eyebrow at me.

‘Maybe not,’ I murmur, and hear him chuckle in agreement.

There are a lot of talented dancers in this showcase, as is displayed when dancing couple after dancing couple perform unique routines.

Jude and I rather like a contemporary sort of piece, where the dancers work a lot of humour into their piece, the girl taking charge of the dance and pretty much throwing her partner around in time to the music.

There’s one tango inspired piece, which Jude and I watch carefully, seeing if they’re doing any moves similar to ours. As we watch, the man lays the girl down on the floor, moving over her in a rather sexual manner, then, wrapping his arms around her, the pair roll across the stage in a tangle of arms and legs.

Jude nudges me. ’Shame we didn’t do that move, eh?’

I raise an eyebrow at him. ‘You did suggest it, I seem to remember.’

‘Mmm, yes, and now I’m regretting that I didn’t persuade you into it, babe,’ he responds, cheekily.

‘I bet you are.’

‘Absolutely.’

Before long, we reach the penultimate piece, and then, the last piece. It’s a lyrical sort of piece where both dancers are barely ever out of each other’s arms, working in lifts and beautifully choreographed movements.

The passionate, yet emotional piece of music matches the fluid motion of the dancers, who run together like gazelles, leaping together, arms and legs flung outwards.

The girl suddenly breaks free of the pattern, at the same moment as the music drops down low also. Doing an elegant set of spins and turns by herself, mirroring those of her partners, I’m completely lost in watching.

Then I’m caught in the wild rush of the music, as she races towards her partner, throwing herself backwards to be caught safe in his arms. I’m literally on the edge of my seat as they’re reunited, the man swirling his partner gently around in his arms, then, as the music grows soft and gentle, lifting her, so her legs wrap around his waist, her head resting on his shoulder, and walking quietly off stage.

There’s complete silence, and then everybody bursts into rapturous applause.

‘Do you think we could pull something like that off?’ Jude asks me, looking rather enthralled.

I twist my lips. ‘It’d be hard, but…’ I pause. If we could pull it off, we might be in with a chance of winning- the moves are technically extremely difficult, and it would be beyond hard to get that level of fluidity and that way of dancing as if it’s all just one flowing motion in under five weeks… but if we put in enough work, it must just work out.

‘But what?’ Jude prompts, leaning forward to hear me as everyone around us gets up, ready to leave.

‘But I think we can do it…well,’ I say, confidently.

‘Liking the optimism,’ Jude tells me, chuckling to himself. ‘Why don’t we give it a try tomorrow, hey?’

I nod, and as we make our way out of the room, we’re both buzzing with ideas, discussing it enthusiastically. I’m really looking forward to dancing with him again, I can just imagine these moves working well with us both, and using all these various lifts should be fun.

We walk through the town, meandering along together. I notice that girls are looking at me enviously, clearly spying the attractive boy by my side and deducing that we’re a couple. I kind of like this feeling; it makes me feel as if we really are together.

‘So,’ Jude says, looking at his watch, ‘time for some food?’

‘Definitely,’ I answer, my stomach rumbling at the thought. ‘What did you have in mind?’

We’ve come to a stop next to the fish and chips shop, and Jude nods his head towards it. ‘Fish and chips?’

For a moment, I go to say no, faltering at the idea. I haven’t had fish and chips for ages, I’ve always tried to eat healthily to keep up my physique so I’m completely at my best potential for dancing. But those fish and chips look delicious.

Jude seems to sense my dilemma, and winks at me. ‘I’m sure one day off from the healthy eating won’t ruin your dancing ability, gorgeous,’ he tells me. ‘And anyway, this is a celebration of our success! You’re allowed to stray from the lettuce leaves and protein.’

‘Well, seeing as you are…’ I push through the doors of the shop, him following behind, looking forward to my first fish and chips for a long time.

When our fish and chips have been wrapped up and handed to us, looking deliciously unhealthy, we walk along, looking for a place to eat it. It’s that beautiful time of evening, just before dusk, and as it’s a warm day, we unanimously agreed to eat outside.

Jude leads me to a park, with plenty of lush green grass and nice benches, but we opt to sit on the floor, right by some the colourful flowers. Unwrapping the fish and chips, the yummy smell makes my mouth water, and so Jude and I tuck in straight away.

It’s just as lovely as it looks, and for a while, we munch in silence, only saying ‘mmm’ as we enjoy the taste. But soon we start chatting, discussing dancing, what to do with Alex and Roo on Saturday, how nice the fish and chips are, and pretty much everything and anything.

When the fish and chips have all been eaten, I lie back in the grass, it now having grown darker, my tummy full to burst.

Jude lies back next to me, pillowing his head on his folded arms, and we look up at the sky together, the cool, clear night letting the stars peek down at us.

Watching the stars with a full stomach, and talking softly to Jude, I’m struck by just how happy I am. I haven’t felt this content in a while.

It’s grown colder now that it’s darker, and I feel myself shiver, goose bumps prickling my skin. Without hesitating, Jude sits up, pulls off his leather jacket, and drapes it over my shoulders, smiling when he sees how big it is on me.

‘Looks sexier on you,’ he comments, cheekily, and lies back down, not seeming bothered by the cold.

‘Thanks,’ I say, softly, not wanting the sound of my voice to break the quiet stillness of the evening air.

He rolls over slightly, propping his head up on his hand to look at me. ‘You’re welcome.’

I look up at him, marvelling at how attractive he looks, and at the fact that he actually wants to spend time with me.

‘Had a nice day?’ he asks, watching me.

I nod. ‘Great, thanks to you,’ I tell him, honestly. ‘I’ve really enjoyed myself.’ I pause. ‘Have you?’

‘Of course,’ he responds. ‘It’s been marvellous.’

I mirror his position, so I can look at him properly. ‘I appreciate it, Jude, really I do. You’ve been so… thoughtful.’

‘Compliments? This is a rare occasion, Foxy,’ he tells me, sticking out his tongue at me.

I scrunch my nose up at him. ‘I mean it.’

‘Even more unusual then,’ he replies. I reach out and gently shove him, which doesn’t even move him in the slightest.

‘Ahhh, now we’re back to more Foxy like behaviour.’ Reaching out himself, he pushes me back, somehow managing to roll over so he’s pinning me down all of a sudden, his face hovering above me, his body pressed against mine.

If anyone walked by right now and saw us in this compromising position… they’d jump to conclusions for sure.

‘Mm?’ I murmur, his close proximity frightening me too much for me to be able to form words. I want so desperately to reach up and pull that curly head down to mine, to have him kiss me.

His eyes smile down at me with that faintly amused expression as I look up at him, able to see every last detail upon his face- the tiny scattering of stubble across his jaw and upper lip, the thick, dark eyelashes… everything about him is gorgeous, even the way the hair on his arms lies in all the same direction.

‘I win, I think,’ he tells me, his voice sounding a little husky, and pausing for only a split second, he rolls away so I’m free. I miss the closeness of his warm body touching mine: I wish I could have kissed him. But it’s a good job he didn’t- I’m sure I would have embarrassed myself. It’s a sign of how much our relationship has changed that he didn’t kiss me- usually he would have closed the gap without a second thought.

‘Is that really the time?’ Jude looks at his watch and stands up. ‘I’d better deliver you back home, missy, or your mum’ll be having words with me.’

‘She will indeed,’ I reply, reluctantly getting up too. ‘She might have words with you regardless,’ I warn him, with a cheeky grin.

‘I’ll just have to charm her with my wit. I gave you my jacket, didn’t I?’ he protests, still looking slightly entertained, as if I’m actually making him laugh.

‘Oh, did you want it back?’ I ask, starting to pull it off.

His hand stills me. ‘Call me Prince Charming, Foxy, but I’d rather you kept warm for now.’ He winks at me. ‘Leave it for the time being.’

And so I do, hugging it to me and inhaling his fresh, masculine smell as I follow him back to his car. It seems only seconds before we’re pulling up at the house, and as I pause to say goodbye before getting out, I spot my dad at the door of my house, and gasp.

Has he come back? Is he going to apologise, and everything will be better? My heartbeat speeds up, and it’s all I can do to fling open the door and race to his side…