Enter Zulu

The wheels squealed quietly as Noah pulled into his parking spot. He stepped out of the car and slammed the door of his Jeep. And walked inside. The security guard at the desk scanned his ID. All clear. This was an important day he had been told.

The scientist under him said that he and a few other higher ranking employees needed to see the first human experiment of their prototype. A drug that kills in an hour and makes the body incredibly hazardous to handle. This discovery could end all war.

Noah went through numerous security cautions (metal detectors,  print scanner, retina scanners, etc.) and ended up in a dark room with a bunch of chairs facing a window that consumed the whole wall on that side. A few generals and other employees were already there. Noah sat somewhere in the middle. He felt fairly safe since the glass was bullet proof. On the other side of this bullet proof glass was a white laboratory. About three scientists in hasmat suits were in it; with one death row prisoner (who signed a consent form) buckled to a gurney. The lead scientist went to the side of the room and pressed a button and spoke into a box. His voice was amplified and carried into Noah's room through the speakers.

"Thank you for coming to our demonstration of project Zulu today. As you know, we have been working for almost a year to develop a toxin that is incredibly harmful to anyone near it. We have been able to do so in the form of a virus. It is codenamed Zulu. I will now begin the trial."

He went over to a desk and picked up a small syringe. In it, Noah assumed, was the virus. The scientist injected it into an artery in the inmate's neck. The prisoner screamed loud enough for Noah to here him through the glass. For half an hour, Noah and the others watched him scream and writhe in terrible pain. Finally, the man lay silent, still, and broken. Noah also was still. He was too horrified to say or do anything. The scientists went to unbuckle the inmate. When they did, the tester twitched slightly. Then his arms outstretched and he sat up. He turned left and bit one of the scientists through his hasmat suit. A mass of blood exploded from the open wound. After the quick spurt, the bleeding stopped all together. The scientist fell to the ground and the prisoner followed, still taking pieces out of him. Another scientist took a piece of equipment, something metal and haevy, and slammed down onto the back of the prisoner. He barely flinched. The corpse of the inmate stood up and tackled the scientist, tearing strips of flesh as they went down. Only the lead scientist had been left alive, but he was against the wall opposite the door; and two limp bodies and a walking corpse blocked the path. The first scientist bit sat up. Noah could see the death in his eyes. The inmate turned towards the last scientist. Both infected stared straight into the soul of the terrified man. The the other scientist sat up, and homed in on the fresh meat pile in the corner. They advanced as fast as they could, which was still pretty slow. The agonizing time of approach lengthened the pin of the fate everyone knew was coming. But the calvary showed up just in time. One guard shot two corpses in the chest, but nothing changed about the situation. The new guy shot one in the head and it went down. But it was too late the other two reached the scientist and shredded him to bits. Two more guards shot at the corpses b ut only after they realized to shoot them in the head did they go down.

A man in a $500 suit walked into the lab. He pressed the PA button. The speakers in Noah's room sounded, "Naturally what you have just seen is classified and not to be told to anybody, no matter the circumstance. If Project Zulu is exposed by anyone of you, you will be charged with treason. But you will not make it to the trial. You are dismissed."

Noah and the other spectators walked out of the room silently.  Noah knew that they would still use that virus. What army could resist using a weapon that makes the enemy destroy itself? But how do you contain the plague?

Sicknesses can crosses borders, oceans even. Noah knew that once the virus was released the world would end. He just had one question: When?