Chapter 14

Silence.
Emptiness.
Sadness.

So many people had gathered in the small hospital's waiting room. There hadn't been any word about what was going on or how Dick was.

Clark sat close to Diana and small tears pricked the sides of her eyes but didn't fall. Kaludr sat near his mentor, his king with his head in his hands. The rest of the Young Justice team wasn't there, they weren't told anything about what had happened.

Hal, Martian Manhunter and Red Tornado were at Mount Justice waiting for news on Dick and soon were preparing to tell the team at the mountain.
Billy, Captain Marvel was at Watchtower with Zatara, John Stewart, and the Hawks.

Dinah sat in the corner of the room with a shaken Roy. He cried into her shoulder, as she rubbed small circles on his back. Tightly held in his hand was Dick's note.

Bruce was pacing around the room, he couldn't hold still and kept yelling at the nurses to give him an answer about his son, but they had none to give him at the time. Alfred sat still and looked off in the distance.

Everyone was broken and shattered by this, each blaming a small part of their selves for not doing more. But no one blamed themselves more than Bruce did and everyone knew it too. They knew he was a total mess over all of this. He was way worst off then them.

Wally after dropping Dick off broke down on the ground and eventually passed out. He was unconscious in a hospital bed of his own with Barry and Iris standing beside him. Barry held onto his little nephew's hand tightly as tears fell from his eyes.

Minutes felt like hours. Time seemed to slowed down and finally stop. Everyone was on edge. All their minds where on Dick. Each of them going over conversations and memories of the little bird. The whole waiting room felt hollowed out at the moment.

Just in a few rooms over from them all, Dick was being worked on. His life hanging in the balance and they were all powerless to do anything to help him out.

Roy after breaking down in his apartment barely contacted the league, he was so shaken by everything that just happened. He contacted the Watchtower, which in response contacted the whole Justice League.

No one knew if Dick was going to make it. They all feared the worst, all hope being crushed as the time went slowly on.

The Justice League at the beginning of Dick's life into the whole superhero thing were very present, but as the years went on, they began less involved in the boy's life and that made each of the heroes feel so much worst.

Clark closed his eyes and laid his head on top of Diana, who's head and on Clark's shoulder. He remembered his conversation with Bruce that evening very clearly in the Bat Cave wit Diana at his side.

He yelled at Bruce for being so stupid and careless to risk an innocent child's life in the whole crime fighting thing.
But his anger soon sided when he finally met Robin and saw his fighting skills and how amazing he was.
Young Dick was so tiny and so sweet. He would light up a room when he walked in, he was so cheerful and innocent that it had touched each of the leagues hearts and made them fall in love with the bot even more.

Clark then remembered how Dick began to call the League members aunts and uncles. They were his family now after losing his parents before his eyes.
On many different occasions when Bruce needed someone to watch Dick for a bit, he would call the League and they would always be more than happy to take care of this sweet little boy who had wormed his way into their hearts.

Each of them helped trained Dick too. Bruce did the most, but they all taught the small hero a few tricks here or there.

As Dick grew older, he didn't come around the league as much. Their visits had died down and he barely called then uncle and aunt anymore. He was growing a bit colder, like Bruce and yet none of them seemed to really notice. Or maybe they did but didn't think much for it.
Maybe doing so, showed Dick that they didn't care, that they didn't love him.

Clark removed his head from Diana and shock his head.
"Dick must have felt so alone, abandon by his new family and none of us seemed to notice or care. It was his and the leagues fault that their sweet, little innocent boy was laying in a hospital bed dying." thought Clark.

----------------------------------------

The silence in the room was soon broken when a doctor came out and asked for Bruce. Everyone tuned in to listen. Most couldn't hear what was being said between the doctor and Bruce, but Clark could hear it all. After the doctor finished he walked away, leaving the group. Bruce lowered his head for a moment, closing his eyes tightly and sighing. Alfred got up slowly and made his way next to Bruce. Alfred laid a hand on his shoulder and Bruce glanced up at Alfred and gave him a small smile to thank him. Bruce turned to look over at his shoulder, he looked directly at Clark. For he knew that he had heard everything the doctor had said. Bruce wanted, no needed to be with his son right now and Clark knew it, so he nodded his head understanding what that look meant from Bruce. Bruce nodded a thank you in return and he and Alfred left the room.

Clark waited a moment then cleared his throat and addressed the heroes before him who waited for the news on their precious little bird.

------------------------------

Bruce walked slowly into a low lit hospital room with Alfred right behind him.
In the room was a very pale child with a few wires and tubes connecting him. The white bandages on his wrists where closely the same color of his pale skin. Bruce moved forward and easily grabbed his sons' hand and gave it a small squeeze. Dick's skin under Bruce's touch was so cold. Bruce inhaled sharply and closed his eyes.

"His son, his poor son.'' he thought as he sat down on the bed.

Dick had lost a large amount of blood and due to the cold water and the amount of time he was left in it, he had hypothermia and had slipped into a coma.

Bruce leaned forwards and kissed to top of Dick's hand. His shoulders began to shake as he allowed his walls to fall down. He began to cry and Alfred walked over and laid a hand on his shoulders hand and tears filled his eyes. They sat there in silence, minus the beeping of the machines and the air being sent to Dick's little boy and Bruce's sobs.

"Oh Dick" was flowing through everyone's minds.

The sadness they all felt, felt heavy within all of their chest. Tears ran from everyone's eyes, no one knew what was going to become of their nephew, their friend, their team mate, their baby brother, their grandson, and their son.

:(