9

"Place your past into a book, burn the pages"

"Ultron knows we're coming." Steve began as the team settled into the quinjet. "Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire, and that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace, and that's not going to happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done, and find out what Ultron's been building. We find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us." He sighed as the team still looked at him expectantly.

"Ultron thinks we're monsters and we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right." He finished and the plane was left in silence expect for the small whispers between Vision and Ella. Pietro longed to know what they were talking about, longed for the connection they shared. Wanda tried to look into the girls head, for her brother's sake, but there was nothing there. Ella knew that the rest of the team were staring at her and Vision, she knew that they were wondering what they were saying.

"Tell?" She asked her friend, titling her head to the side as he did the same.

"Not until we work out what the connection is." She nodded in agreement, smiling as he did the same. "And would you stop that!" The rest of the group let their eyes fall fully on the pair at Visions outburst. "Sorry," He apologised, before turning back to Ella. "Ella, what if I turn into one of Ultron's when I'm near him." She smiled sadly at her friend, pulling him into a hug, despite him being much bigger than her.

"A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." She quoted, pulling away from the hug. "You won't. You're not Ultron, you're you." He smiled at the use of his words. Soon the plane landed and the group walked out, knowing their missions. Pietro was to go the police station and get law enforcement in gear. Wanda was to 'encourage' the Sokovian's to leave using her powers. Bruce, after the Wakanda incident, was going to stay with the plane, piloting it instead of fighting. He was also going to find Natasha. Steve and Clint were going to oversee operations from the ground. Tony, Ella and Vision were going to find and fight Ultron. Ella was trying to hide how uncomfortable she was with fighting, even with Vision and Pietro by her side. It made her think back to the times Papa would make her hurt people.

{Flashback}

Ella was led by Papa into the sensory deprivation tank. She hated going in there, it meant she'd have to hurt someone.

"Now, Eleven, I want you to get inside his head." Papa explained, pointing to the picture of Tony Stark. It was the second time in a week she had seen his face. "Eleven? Are you listening?"

"Yes, Papa." This time, she didn't ask if she needed to hurt him, because she knew the answer was yes. Ella climbed onto the lowering device, waiting for the scientists to shut her in completely. She closed her eyes, opening them to a dark world. The echoes of the outside reminded her of her mission, hurting Tony Stark. Eventually she found him in the inky blackness. She looked inside his head, guilt overwhelming her. She ignored the feeling, trying not to get distracted. Ella started planting thoughts in his head, angry thoughts, and hateful thoughts. She put thoughts of worthlessness and thoughts of his loved ones dying. Suddenly, a robot appeared. It had red eyes and stalked towards her, shooting at her.

"Papa! Papa!" Ella screamed, running away from the robot. Then everything went black.

{End of Flashback}

"Ella, Ella?" Vision shook the girl, trying to shake her from her mind. "You ready?" Ella looked up, letting him see the tear tracks on her face. "What's wrong?" He asked, sitting back down to the girl.

"I put Ultron here. I'm the monster." She whispered, and was instantly wrapped into a hug.

"No, you're not the monster. You created me, do you understand? You created me."

"Your man is in the church, boss." Tony's new AI, FRIDAY, told him and he turned to the pair.

"Sorry to break the moment, but FRIDAY has found Ultron." Tony said awkwardly. The pair broke apart, and nodded at him. Tony thought how their heads moved at the exact time was creepy. Ella wiped away non-existent tears and stood up, jumping on to Vision's back so they could fly there.

"Come to confess your sins?" Ultron asked, sitting in the church.

"I don't know, how much time you got?" Tony shot back.

"More than you."

"Uhhh. Have you been juicing? A little Vibranium cocktail? You're looking, I don't wanna say, puffy..." Tony stalled, buying the other team members more time to get the civilians out.

"You're stalling to protect the people." Ultron said.

"Well, that is the mission. Did you forget?"

"I've moved beyond your mission. I'm free." Ultron replied, when suddenly a core erupts beneath the church "What, you think you're the only one stalling?"

"There's the rest of the Vibranium. Function: still unclear." FRIDAY said in Tony's ear.

"This is how you end, Tony. This is peace in my time." Ultron said, and thousands of the robots began attacking the city. Vision walked forward, leaving Ella alone. She watched on from her hiding stop near the back of the church, watched as her friend met what he was supposed to be.

"Ultron." Vision said, standing in front of his enemy.

"My Vision. They really did take everything from me." Ultron reached out to touch what was supposed to be his.

"You set the terms, you can change them." Vision tried to convince Ultron to come back to the side of life.

"Alright." He said, and attacked Vision. Ella wanted to step in right there, but she knew this was part of the plan.

"You shut me out! You think I care? You take away my world, I take away yours." Ultron yelled, and activated the core, flying out of Sokovia.

"FRIDAY?" Tony asked, as they ground began to shake and break apart.

"Sokovia's going for a ride." FRIDAY said.

"Do you see? The beauty of it, theinevitability. You rise, only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor, myswift and terrible sword and the earth will crack with the weight of yourfailure. Purge me from your computers; turn my own flesh against me. It meansnothing. When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal." Ella barely heard the villain's speech, but it still sent chillsdown her spine. She knew that they would need to fight like a team if theywanted to win, and she had a feeling that this would be the last time that theydid this in a while.