Chapter 8

Heads up: this chapter is a big ol' Alaria x Stephen

-

The weather was much damper the moment I stepped brought the portal- I suppose it was because we were now in Asia, where for some reason I associated the country with rain and condensation. With each nervous breath, it kind of felt as though my lungs weren't collecting enough oxygen- like I needed to inhale quicker than our pace would have normally called for.

We had been dropped off in the center of a busy street- my first observation of the surroundings was the strong smell of bland food; I was American, used to string flavors and fried everything. But next was the large building directly in front of us- it made the road diverge into two paths around its structure, and on top: a huge circular window with a bent design detailing its surface. This was the Hong Kong Sanctum, I knew.

Mordo and Stephen jogged to the door of the place, their fists pounding heavily on the wooden frame as though Kaecilius was going to arrive at any moment. In hindsight, I suppose that was a possibility.

The door finally opened after a long minute of no response. Mordo immediately pushed past a plump Asian man that greeted us, looking right and left within the facility. Stephen followed behind, but he turned to the man in a frenzy. "Wong," he addressed the man as, "does this Sanctum have any books?"

Wong, I assumed, nodded, "of course- although they're all in Chinese."

"That doesn't matter," Stephen waved his hand in the air, "google translate." The humorous smile hid the urgency I could feel radiating off of him. I wondered why books were suddenly so important.

"They are in the back room- the library." Wong said, and Stephen began to leave. "And who are you?" My eyes widened at the threat that suddenly dropped from his tone, his body stepping forward to bar my entry of the building.

I felt the pressure of Stephen's urgency biting away at my own emotions- I was surprised at how flimsy they were when met with someone else's. Because of this, I didn't want my back so exposed to everything going on outside; I was paranoid that Kaecilius or one of his zealots was right around the corner.. or worse, approaching as I stumbled over my short story. "Um, I'm Alaria- I come from New York and the Ancient One said she was expecting me and I ended up fighting some zealots and then watching her die and-"

"What?" Wong nearly shouted, unmoving from my way into safety. "The Ancient One is dead? Who are you to deliver this news?" His baritone voice vibrated with anger as I shrunk at his harsh tone.

"I'm sorry, I-"

"You lie!" He growled, beginning to shut the door with me still outside. No, no, no! He knows what I look like! I can't be left alone outside!

Just as I flinched in preparation for the door's slam, I heard Stephen. "Wong!" he shouted exasperated, "Stop being so grumpy." He was the one that opened the door again, gesturing his hand forward to grant me entrance and then walking closely behind me as I looked around the main hall.

It was decorated with paintings in several languages- not just Chinese, although its decoration of colorful fans, as well as kimonos, gave off the strong sense of culture within the city. All in all, it was a beautiful building to be in. "Who is she?" Wong was saying, his aura a bit less hostile as he walked beside Strange.

"I don't know!" Stephen sounded annoyed at the man, "I don't know why she's here but she's here and in training."

"Since when?" he fumed, "if the Ancient One is dead, who is to train her?"