Chapter 10

Thank you for 2K reads <33

Warning: creepy image of eye embedded into text.
-
I stumbled out the front door, my legs struggling to keep myself up as the ground shook violently. There were people outside, I didn't have much time to pay attention to them- but I heard frightened screams and caught glimpses of unbelieving shock.

I probably looked like that too when I was far enough away and turned around.

Mordo and Stephen seemed to leap out of the crumbling doorway of the Sanctum, tripping into the debris that had already fallen and scrambled further away as more continued to fall. Already outside, the rubble from the large cement buildings that lined the streets and ceased to stand; I felt a bit queasy at the limbs that were attached to bodies underneath them. Nausea set into me like a wave at the abrupt death I was facing.

Kaecilius and Dormammu had taken away numerous lives in a matter of minutes.. probably seconds. I felt my heart grow heavy like the tension between the tides and the moon- that's how my mother used to describe sadness.

Then, as if to further the already awful air, the night sky seemed to alter into a deep purple- a slow change that I didn't at first notice until I saw what looked like giant planets beginning to approach. "Dormammu," Mordo breathed, staring over the broken Sanctum's window as the earth's atmosphere looked as though it were being eaten away at an alarming rate. Although my body felt as though every movement was going to rip each muscle, I found my sanity begging me to run away- it whispered when I had heard about Kaecilius, it spoke when two zealots attacked me, and now it screamed at the top of its lungs; Every twitch in my body was in preparation for moving quickly (in the opposite direction).

My head turned to do just that, but my eyes caught Stephen, whose worried and fanatic expression was a hardened glare at the encroaching dark that was coming closer and closer. You can't run, I heard myself saying in my thoughts. My shoulders slumped at the truth of it. Running would buy me.. maybe three extra minutes? And what good was that? There was also the fact that just as the night before, with now, as my shoulder pestered me, I had placed my life into Stephen Strange's hands without him knowing.

Maybe now I would do it again.

I mean, I hadn't wanted to be involved with Kaecilius and Dark Lords that have more power than the God Christians worship. I only wanted to find some form of purpose, I guess. Something to give my mentality a thing or two to do instead of waste away in a gas station selling cigars to the prematurely dead.

My head slowly turned back to what was in front of us- Wong joining from somewhere on the right of Mordo. Kaecilius stood with hostility, two new zealots standing behind him in a similar position as Mordo and I to Stephen. I could see the death that the dark dimension was bringing- a large cloud of ash and debris was filling the air as buildings continued to fall. "It's too late," I heard Mordo say, seeing Stephen out of the corner of my eye begin to open the eye of Aggamotto.

"Maybe not," he said, dragging the green bands around his arm.

He's going to rewind time.

Kaecilius, maybe a block away, leaped forward, anger flaring within his creation of a sharp and long mirror shard. Stephen continued setting himself up- flicking his hand outward to form the final orb in front of his hand.

Kaecilius continued approaching.

Without noticing, my hands instinctively created my golden blade, its sparking edge being more defined than I'd ever seen it.

When Stephen didn't look as though he were going to defend himself, I lifted my sword quickly, just as Kaecilius leaped to puncture his forehead with its tip, and felt the power beneath his blow when the shard met my weapon.