Chapter 9

I awoke slowly. First, my warm toes began to wiggle underneath my curled self, and then my fingers began to twitch with awareness as they touched a warm piece of fabric.

I opened my eyes in the midst of a yawn, embarrassment flaring into my cheeks as I recognized that I was still in Stephen's room. And even worse, there was a blanket thrown over me! I wasn't a four-year-old to be tucked in at night!

But it had been cold..

He was gone, and the sun was already quite high so I hurried into my own room and selected robes similar to what one would think a gi looked like. "Kaecilius could come today." I told myself as I stared into the crooked mirror, feeling the now familiar tension rise and clench my throat. My fists tightened at the idea, determination trying desperately to steady my breaths as I stepped out into the hall and began searching for Mordo or Stephen.

It wasn't that I was following them like a dog, it was just- If they all acted like Wong.. I might need some help. "Taipan," I turned to see Mordo stepping in from the streets. He seemed much more relaxed than the day before, and I found it easier to follow him when he gestured for me. "Strange has told me what the Ancient One said, so we will train you in the ways of protecting the natural law."

What and what? "I don't know what you're talking about." I said honestly.

"About which part?" We stepped through a double door that led into an open concept room- much large than the library or even the entrance.

"Um," My eyes traveled along the edges of the walls, observing all of the objects that hung in different ways from floor to ceiling. "Both parts."

Mordo looked at me confused. "The Ancient One believes-" he paused, "believed that there is potential within you." I nodded. "As for natural law: we sorcerers protect, how can I put it simply- we keep physics and science applicable to you.." he was pausing a lot. "The people of this universe."

I wondered why he had corrected himself so much. "But what's this room?" I asked, running my fingers over the cold metal of weapons hanging beside my head.

Mordo stood in the center, the wooden beams beneath his feet creating what was probably a magical symbol I didn't yet recognize. "This is where you give up." He said, staring at the floor with determination.

I hoped he was joking, but the expression on his face told me otherwise.

I opened my mouth to ask him to clarify, but no words spilled out as I glanced his way again- surprised by the rapid approaching anger written all over his body.

He was most definitely not joking.

-

I groaned as my back slammed onto the wooden floor for what was probably the thirtieth time in the past two hours.

It felt like I was taking a bath in my own sweat as Mordo shouted at me to get up again.. for the thirty-first time. "Come on, Taipan!" He ordered. From my angle, I could see the light reflect off of the frustrated spit flying from his frustrated mouth. Everything about him was frustrated.

I was utterly failing this training, and the soreness with each movement I made told me so.

"You know what Mordo," I huffed, trying to catch my breath while staring at the ceiling. "I think I'll stay here for a minute."

Suddenly, the light that streamed from the window behind me ceased doing its job and a long shadow of a tall man cast over the ground. The action was accompanied by a throaty chuckle, then followed by a smug smiling Stephen that I turned to look at with a defeated
glance. "This is going well," he said to me more than his friend, holding out his hand to help me up.