[35.] Mrs. McCoy (Part 2)

I awoke at exactly 6:17 the next morning, legs, back, and neck stiff from the long flight. Next to me, Leonard was already wide awake and on his feet, gathering our bags.

"Good morning, sunshine," he said happily.

I murmured in reply, still trying to wake up.

"Tired?" he chuckled.

"A little," I yawned, extending my arms up over my head and feeling a satisfying pop in my lower back. After rolling my neck around a little to loosen the knots, I stood and took my bag from Leonard's shoulder. He reached back and grabbed hold of my hand as the passengers began bustling from the plane.

Even before dawn, Georgia was already so much muggier than California. I became incredibly self-conscious as the hand that Leonard was holding began to sweat. Perhaps that isn't the humidity, I thought to myself sadly, feeling my stomach flip. As happy as I was to help Leonard with his problem and to meet his parents, I couldn't help but to feel nervous at the prospect of it. What will they think of me? Will they think I'm good enough for their son? An audible sigh escaped me, prompting Leonard to look back at me with a look of concern. I smiled feebly in an attempt to reassure him.

After grabbing our luggage, we made our way to the terminal.

"They said they'd meet us here," Leonard said.

"Who?"

He gave me a strange look. "My parents."

"Oh," I replied, a hint of nerves in my voice. "Oh, right, of course."

He laughed and pulled me close to him.

"Don't worry," he said, kissing my head. "They're going to love you."

Somewhere in my mind, I knew this was true. But I'm not the best at listening to my gut when it's reassuring. I'm better at listening to it when it says, "Go do this incredibly dangerous thing that might get you killed but will potentially accomplish whatever it is you're trying to accomplish." Unintentionally self-destructive woman who has been in danger with their son present on multiple occasions? Oh, yeah. I'm the whole package, I thought to myself. And then, Shut up, Catherine. I squeezed Leonard's hand in an attempt to affirm my gut feeling. He squeezed back, and I felt the knots in my stomach relax.

Several minutes passed before an older couple came running up to us.

"Leonard!" the woman cried happily. Leonard smiled and stood, hugging her as he replied, "Hi, mom." I stood up slowly and uncomfortably, unsure of how to introduce myself or react. But then, she let go of Leonard and immediately hugged me.

"You must be Catherine!" she said happily, holding me close.

A little stunned, but also insanely relieved, I hugged her back and replied, "It's so nice to finally meet you!"

"Oh, darling, the pleasure is all ours!" she answered. She pulled away and beamed at me. "You can call me Eleanora."

She turned to her husband and beckoned him over. He smiled and held out his hand before saying, "Hello, Catherine, I'm David. Wonderful to finally meet you."

"You as well, sir," I smiled back. Leonard smiled at me and draped an arm across my shoulders.

"Wish you could've met each other under better circumstances," he said.